Dogs Community
lump on dogs toe

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

lump on dogs toe

our mix breed,( part golden lab, part huskie, part miniture collie, part retriever)  has a nickel size blood filled lump on his toe. I took him to the vet who aspirated fluid and checked it under the microscope..she said it was hard to diagnois because of all the blood, but  said she   the cells were abnormal...she said if the growth is removed the toe should come with it..fine but we don't have $1000 to spend on this procedure, which she said minute by minute is the approximate cost....I asked why they cannot just burn the thing off..she did not recommend this approach....are we being misled , is there another approach to this?He is not licking it, he is not chewing on it, he walks fine and runs fine.
Hey,  I sure don't know about that one. I guess I would get a second opinion. The $1000 seems a bit high to me. I would be like you and wonder why you couldn't burn it off? But maybe it could spread, if it is cancer, if not removed. The $1000 wouldn't be so bad if that includes after care, and periodic checks on the foot. All in all I would go for the second opinion, I guess. At least your dog doesn't have pain, thats a blessing. Keep us posted if you will, I'm worried about the poor little guy. Good luck!
My dog had lumps on her toe which turned out to be melanoma.  She had surgery to have them removed.  I believe they have to make sure they get it all out if it is cancer.
I live in Arizona and I think the surgery ran me about $300 including all the blood work etc that had to be done prior.  Check around with some other vets.  Good Luck
I used to work in an animal hospital for about a year. It could be nothing, just a growth, however it could be a cancerous tumor. Even though it doesn't bother him doesn't mean anything, you should still have it checked out. The price however is quite shocking. I would call around and tell them the same thing the other vet told you. They will most likely need to look at it for themselves but it's worth a shot at some estimates. Hope this helps.