Dogs Community
lump on ear flap

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

lump on ear flap

Hi, I am new here, but I really need help. I am concerned because yesterday I found an area on my labradors left ear flap that is about the size of a quarter and appears to have fluid in it. I applied ice to it for awhile. It does not appear to bother her, unless I am messing with it. Today it is still there. It is New Years Day, and the vet is closed, I am broke anyway and don't know of any vet who does anything for free. I am upset because all the web sites I have visited so far for "free" vet help all want credit card information. I do not have a credit card, and shame on them all for trying to get money from worried pet owners. Does anyone here know what this is on my dogs ear flap? can anyone here help me? Thank you in advance if you can, and shame on you if this is just another one of those scam web sights. Sincerly, fixit211
I understand your worry for your pup, but can you please try to lose the attitude?  This web site is not a scam, but this particular board is not moderated by a doctor.  If you want to run your question by a veterinarian, post it on the Ask a Vet Forum.  Dr. Cheng generally answers questions within 24 hours.  She donates her time to that board and participation is free.  There may still be a 2-question per day limit right now due to the holidays.

Dogs with floppy ears tend to have somewhat more ear issues than dogs with pointed, upright ears.  Your dog may have a very simple, easily treated cyst-like formation in the ear flap; or an infection (like a big zit); a swelling from a bug bite; or something more serious.  Until you find out for certain, I wouldn't mess with it too much.  If it's infection, squeezing it will force that junk into the surrounding tissues and just make the problem worse.  It may need lancing, and that's something for a vet to perform.

You might try calling your local SPCA, Humane Society or other local shelters for help with a lower-cost vet care referral.  In my area, PetSmart and PetCo have low-cost vet days once or twice a month as another alternative to investigate.  Veterinarians, just like human doctors, have their own expenses to cover.  It is just not reasonable to expect them to provide free care to all comers.  I understand your frustration - I've been there myself and it's not easy.  I've eaten more Top Ramen and baked potatoes than I care to remember in order to pay for care for my critters.  You just gotta do what you gotta do.  :-)
So sorry for the attitude, but "Lucy" is the love of my life. I would sell a kidney for her. I am just soo frustrated that all of those so called free advice web sites always end up asking for credit card info at the end. This is not "free". They really need to be honest & up front about their intensions to get money from you and not advertise their help as "for free".
I am verry worried, and this has me upset more than usual I guess. Sorry again for the attitude.
Thank you for the advice about checking out the "Ask a vet" forum, I will go there right now. And tomorrow I will cotact the local vet if the situation with her ear worsens. To heck with paying January's rent right now, my dog's health comes first. Besides, my landlord has 2 dogs, I am sure he will understand if he has to wait a few weeks for his money.
I completely understand.  Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing serious - or expensive.  :-)
keep your kidney

Pets that paw at their ears or shake their heads vigorously, especially those with large ears, can cause a hematoma. This pawing and shaking can be due to irritants around the face and ears, or irritants in the external ear canals like infections or foreign bodies (foxtails).

http://www.lbah.com/ear_hematoma.htm
Wow, you hit the problem right where it is. I went to the web sight that you posted, and there was a picture of a doctor draining a "hematoma" on a dogs ear flap. That picture looked exactly like what my dogs ear looks like. I will be going to the vet A.S.A.P. because the pictures I saw after that one, the ones where the problem was left to get worse, almost made me throw up my dinner. The proceedure sounded simple enough, the doc drains the hematoma with a needle, then injects cortisone into the wound. My dog wouldn't die if left untreated, but she might end up with a cauliflower ear after the ear rots off around the edges. I cannot and will not allow that to happen to my baby. Thank you for a heads up, and thanks to all of you for caring and convincing me to go to a vet.
Today, I took Lucy to her appointment with the doctor. As you have told me, it is a hematoma. Tomorrow he is going to drain it and put a tube in it. He then told me that every day I would need to gently work the fluid out of the ear through the tube. He said he has had a 75% success rate with this. If it does not work, and the area keeps filling back up, then he will need to operate and put a bunch of stitches in the ear to keep it from expanding so much. I sure hope he knows what he's doing. I am a bit worried that I may be putting to much trust in someone I just met. I can only hope for the best and keep my fingers crossed.
We just brought Lucy back from the vet this afternoon. She was there the whole day. He had to put her under, then he drained the "hematoma" and inserted a tube in that area. I now have to keep milking the ear to prevent the fluid from building up and clotting and plugging up the tube. This REALLY sounds totally gross, but isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. I even showed my girlfriend how to do it in case I am not home to take care of it. If the tube gets plugged up and the area fills up again, or after a week to 10 days it's still draining allot, then we will have no choice but to proceed with the surgery. Lucy is feeling great and is happy to be home. She is not allowed to eat nothing until later this evening. This is killing me because she is hungry and I can't feed her yet. (I did give her a little piece of pizza crust) I am so happy to have her home now, and to see that bulge in her ear gone. I will keep you all posted about her progress. Thanks for caring.
Dan & Lucy
My poor lab has the same problem.  I won't be able to take her in until the end of next week.  Do you think she will be ok until than?
Hematomas on the ear pinnae are fairly common.  Most of the time they go away, however sometimes they recur, and if it becomes something that is going to recur frequently, the vet can put a gridwork of sutures over it to keep it from filling up again, just as fixit said his vet would do.

I am wondering how Lucy is doing.  Fixit, if you're reading the board, would you please post back and let us know how Lucy is doing?

Ghilly
Hi, fixit.....I would sell a kidney for my dog too. (don't you go telling anyone what I said now, they would think I was well crazy)
hope your Lucy is ok. I am sure she will be, now that haematoma is getting sorted. You have lots of love for her, and I can see that. That's what counts. But is there any charitable help you could register for, in case any problems with her health come up in the future? It might be good to research if there's any financial help available for people on low income/Welfare/etc. I think there is. Check it out.

Good luck and may there be lots of good times ahead for you and your dog.     ginger.
Hi!
I read all the comments and need some more help. I have a 7 years old German Sheppard. He had the same problem a few weeks back. The vet did insert a serynge to pull the liquid (which was very difficult considering holding down my 100lbs dog) but only gave me antibiotics ($200). Now, it's back. I read somewhere that one option was to simply wait and the liquid would eventually disperse, even if it took 2-3 month. His ear will never go back straight at this point, it is already broken from the first time. Any danger in waiting?
Did you really think that person Fixit had an attitude? Wow!!!!  I think you were the one with the attitude. That was rude. I'm sorry but when I see things like this I have to address it.
ya my puppy just got one and we think shes had it for two weeks shes a mini labordoodle and constantly shakes at her ear it sort of smells too any advice
The most sensible advice I can give you is have this checked out by a vet. If there is a smell, that most likely means there is some infection going on there. Infection that isn't dealt with quickly and efficiently -can spread.
It may be that the hematoma (I presume that's what it is?) will need to be surgically removed. I was at the vet's recently with my dog and saw a lovely young labrador who had a few stitches in his ear. Looked like he's been in a scrap! His owner told me he'd had a large hematoma and it was removed. Now that looked like a neat job to me, and the dog looked fit and well, (though glad to be on his way home of course!)) And within a few weeks the scar would be healed, and new fur would have grown back making it invisible.
I asked about the hematoma, out of interest, and the lady said it just was not going away by any other method. It kept filling up again, and he kept skaking his head, and scratching at it -and spraying blood everywhere! And she had been in and out of the vet's with him a number of times, before finally going for the surgery option.
The vet said this problem is really quite common too.
Hi fixit, I didn't think you had attitude at all. You were scared and frustrated.
The BS on the internet can do that to you especially when you are frightened for your 4 legged loved one. Thank you for the follow up as my 12 year old beagle has just developed 1 in the last 2 days. She just had a large lump removed from her neck in October. I love her death and would like to have her around to get into my garbage a few more years.
I'm happy your pup is doing fine.
Attitude? Really? Don't think she had a bit of an attitude. However you sounded kind of rude when asking her to drop the attitude.
my Lab/BorderCollie has the same thing only she has one at the tip of each ear, it started out as just hard balls the size of a BB which she has a few of on each ear but the two at the very tip/bottom have grown drastically and now instead of being hard they are "squishy" like they are puss filled or something but still firm at the same time, they are now about the size of a quarter - half dollar. Does this sound like what happened with your dog?? I've always been concerened about this but now I'm really worried since they are growing so big so fast.
Just last night I found a hemotoma on my dogs ear.  I went through this a few years ago with the other hear.  Back then it had drained on it's own by the time we had our appointment with the vet.  My question is... can I apply a warm wash cloth with epison salt on it?  Could this be a treatment for a few days before I call the vet?
Hello everyone, Thanks JayBay for all your great info and thank you also Fixit, I just found out my dog CoCo also has a subdural hematoma in her ear as well. (everything you discribed was right on the mark)She is a cocker spaniel and I am always cleaning her ears, (every 4 to 5 days at least). And the lump that formed on her ear flap is about the size of a half dollar. Thank god I found it on a routine ear cleaning. But it got big just that fast. I took her to the vet this morning. And tomorrow, they are going to do sugery on her ear. She is my baby, and she gets sick so fast. So, I'm going to take care of this quickly.
But, having more info makes me feel better. So thank you.
Hi, i would like to know how Lucy i doing as well, i hope shes ok now. I just found a quarter size on my deebos ear as well. he shakes his head alot 2. i know it wasnt there yest morn cause he gets his morning "bellyrubs" & massage (spoiled rotten 9 yr old arthritic pit/rott). I hope it goes away on its own cause i'm disabled & have $11 left after bills. if anyone knows of a program in arkansas 2 help with vet bills please post! He's my #1 baby & hate 2 c him in pain. my vet wont take payments either. I will use my next months rent if i have 2!! thanks 2 all, time 2 go howl at the hootowls! lol
hello, i am josef, i am 14 and i love my golden retriever, he is having the same ear bulge, he does have ear canal irritation which is small little scabs, worried for him, i pick them off, he does not like it :(. i and my family don't have enough money to take him to a vet, he does scratch at his ear and shake his hear vigorously. i am scared to death if it going to do any harm to him and i want to know how how to get rid of it, if worst comes to worst, he may need to get his ear lanced D: can you please provide me with some information? he happens to be a pure bred, does that have anything to do with it?
I have a great dane and this is the 4th time she has had the lumps, twice in each ear, 3 times now they put her under and just drain it then bandage her ear to the top of her head, its not working, so cranky, as I told them while she under put a drain in, do you think the vet should operate for free, as it has not worked before, its has cost me thousands, not that matters as would pay anything, but is it reasonable to ask them
My beagle has a lump/hematoma and the vet just bandaged his ears to the top of his head.  He said that gravity would cause the blood to pool more so putting the ears up made it easier for the fluid to drain naturally.  It still cost over $200 for the visit and the antibiotic.  Has anyone one had the "ears up" method work?
Hoping this finds lucy well. I had a 16 year old pit who developed same like symptoms. I took him to the vet & was told it was where he would shake his head causing a pocket of blood to form in his ear flap. The vet lanced it & out a drain tube in. Just like you Konan was just like one of my kids. We lost him last October & it was extremely hard on my whole family. We had him cremated & keep his ashes with his pictures on our fireplace mantle. I swore I would never have another dog but a few moths ago I got my husband a pug puppy, he has brought so much joy to our home, Good luck with Lucy...