Dogs Community
lump on nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

lump on nose

I have a 10 year old Golden Retriever that has developed a hard lump on the bride of her nose, that you can press on with no reaction from the dog.  Took her to the vet and she really had no answers but to biopsy it, really don't know what to do.  any ideas?
Hi dougie,
There really isn't anything you CAN do. Just wait for the results of the biopsy. Then when you know what it is, the vet will suggest what to do. If you are not satisfied, consult a different vet and get a 2nd opinion.
Hi dougie..sorry to hear about your poor dog's nose!

Ginger has it right.   Unless a biopsy is done, there is no way of knowing for certain what it might be.   Possibilities would be anything from inflammation due to infection all the way up to various types of tumors.

Have the biopsy done and maybe radiographs as well.  Once you find out what it is, you can visit the Ask The Expert side of the pet forums and solicit thoughts from our veterinarians there.

Let us know what the results are, ok?
Hello Thomas, My name is Dorothy.  I have a 12 year old female Lab Mix. (Oreo) is her name.  Over the summer I noticed a lump developing on the bridge of her nose. Naturally, I took her to see her Vet.  At first, they just "drained" the lump, it helped for about a week, but grew even LARGER.  I took her back to the Vet. .they did a biopsy, and sadly, the results were: the lump is cancerous.  The Vet explained to me, that Oreo would eventually be in an enormous amount of pain, she would stop eating, and drinking etc... Thankfully, she hasn't experienced any of those symptoms so far.  As I said, this started over the summer, it is now February 13th, the lump is ENORMOUS now, but Oreo still eats, drinks, plays, and doesn't show any signs of pain. BUT, today, Oreo sneezed on me and I noticed blood... but it stopped immediately after she sneezed, then, during her morning feeding, she had a nose bleed, enough blood to cover the bottom of her food bowl, but Oreo continued to eat her food until it was completely gone..throughout the day ive noticed "blood drips" in the yard...I called the Vet, made an appointment, what could cause this? is this a sign? or symptom of "the worst"?..please, should I be worried?  Oreo is my LIFE companion, I couldn't imagine life without her...
This thread is quite old, and I don't know for sure but don't think Thomas visits here any more...

I am so sorry about what you and Oreo are going through. You will have to be very brave, and also keep a close watch on her for any changes. If you can stay with her all the time, then hospice care is possible. If you have to spend all day at work, you may need to think about it....
During the hospice care she will need to be watched and monitored carefully. As long as she is still getting a lot out of her life and doesn't seem to be in pain, then maybe she can be okay for a little while yet. But this may change at any time. And you will have to be prepared, and practical, as well as be able to dig deep to find the unconditional love for her that will allow her to leave this world with your blessing, when her body tells her it is time.
If you can give her that devoted attention then waiting until she shows you she is ready would be okay. So long as she still has good quality of life.

Quality of life I think of as this:
*Is there pain? If so, does the pain go away after medicines? (If so, that shows there may be a little more time. If not, then they are really suffering.
*Is the dog still enjoying food? Drinking water?
*Is its body posture pretty relaxed? (A dog in pain will have its tail down, may whine or cry, and its body posture will look wrong. It may ot want to leave its bed or look very sad.)
*Are bowels and bladder functioning pretty normally?
*Are they happy to get off the bed -go for a little walk....enjoy company and seem happy in themselves? Show affection? Enjoy receiving a belly-rub or other affection from us? (Many dogs at the end of their life will want to sleep or rest more or not run about -but are they basically seeming quite content in themselves?
*Are they sleeping okay?

Those questions should be asked. If many of the signs of life are positive then euthanasia can be postponed. Let them live out their life. But it's important to be very watchful.

Keep a close eye on Oreo. Maybe you should even sleep next to her at night to make sure that if anything happens, you will be quickly there for her. Don't think of the future, Just live for now -and love. That is the best you can do.