lung wash for dog
The specialist vet says my dog needs a lung wash.  He has a cough and they can not tell whether it is pneumonia or cancer from the xrays.  If it is pneumonia- they want to see the bacteria.  We have paid for 5 xrays so far and the procedure is going to be $700.  Does this sound right?  I would ask my vet- but he is not interested in our situation- I guess if it is not money in his pocket he does not care.
I'm so sorry to read this.  Your poor dog.  To be truthful, I have never heard of a lung wash.  Did your Vet mention about maybe trying a needle aspiration? Has the dog had blood work done?  WBC elevated indication an infection?  Some of these procedures can be expensive, that's for sure,but I have no idea about this.  Perhaps someone else on the Boards can give you more helpful information. Have you maybe tried doing a google search on that? Sorry, it's late here and I don't have time to look into this further.
:-(
from working at vets  there is some that are in it for money others not .if he doesnt want to give you the time to speak to him  .I would consider going to another vets .i will ask the vet i used to work with about a lung wash . i have not seen it done
http://www.vetinfo.com/dogresp.html
also blue cross have vet clinics that are more reasonable in cost