my dog is coughing, grunting, and coughing up white mucus
My dog has been coughing for the last couple of days.  She acts like something is stuck in her throat.  I was walking her and she began to cough again and then vomited up white mucus.  At night, she began to grunt softly.  I would like to know if there is anything I could do to help her until I get her to the vet.  She is only 2yrs old.  She does not seem to be sick because she eats the same and is extremely playful.  Please help me.  I am very worried.  I have heard from many people that they have fed their dogs children's cough medicine.  Is that ok? If so, for how long does it take for the medication to take affect?
How is your dog feeling now???
You shouldn't give your dog any cough syrup.  The dog needs to see a veterinarian to find out what's causing the cough.  It could be something simple, or it could be very serious.

Peek is right, your dog should see a vet.

Years ago I gave our dog human cough medicine but only after the vet recommended it.

lonewolf

Sounds like Kennel Cough. Especially if she plays with other dogs, or was recently kenneled. She may need antibiotics.