Dogs Community
my dog is coughing up white mucas

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

my dog is coughing up white mucas

My dog has a cough and alot of white mucus is now coming up he is eating fine and staying hydrated, I am just looking for some over the counter meds to help him feel better till I can get him to the vet.  Thanks
It's hard to say what the cause is. The vet will have to listen to his lungs, maybe due some blood tests. If it is an elderly dog, it could mean congestive heart failure and diuretics will be needed. He really needs to see a vet soon for evaluation.
He could have kennel cough. DON"T give anything over the coounter. You could really hurt your dog if you do
hi
my lads 13 he was diagnosed with a heart murmur 3 years ago and we had no problems till now for the past weeks he stated coughing at night the it became persisent as well into the day he kept yakking like someone trying to get phlemg up i think as he,s a small german spitz the problems will grow as time goes by i think he,s getting a lot of fluid into his lungs thats why he is coughing more what im afraid of is pnumonia setting in or heart failure   has anyone had this to this stage and what was you outcome   frank
I had a Dobe with heart failure, and he had the same symptoms.  Your dog needs to go to a vet right away.  It could be heart problems, it could be pnuemonia (pneumonia)...it could be lots of things, but you won't know for sure unless and until you take him in.

It could be something easily treatable if you take him in now.  Even if its heart failure, there are many medications that can ease his breathing and coughing and give him a lot of quality time.  
My dog had severe heart disease but was fine..I had to put her down because of kidney failure recently (I feel so sad still).  However, She had heart disease for 5 years.  She was on lasix (waterpill), enapril, another type of diaretic and vetmedin...It worked very well at keeping her lungs clear...Her cough calmed down almost completely and lived a comfortable, happy life.  She had a very enlarged heart, but the meds still worked great...best to you!