my dog is hacking, but no other signs
What will cause my 14 year old dog to hack.  It sounds like she is gagging, but isn't.  She has been eating fine,  This does not bother her when she is asleep.  I know that she is old, and the odds are against her, but is there anything that I can do to try to soothe her at home.  Thanks
You won't be able to help her much if you don't know what the underlying problem is.  It could be anything from a cold or allergies to a dental problem to congestive heart failure and everything in between.  Your vet would be the best person to help you decide what to do.
Thank you Jaybay, I just remembered that yesterday afternoon I varnished some boards in my basement, and she was there with me.  Do you think this could have something to do with it.  My furnace was also running at the time.  She walks around just fine, eating great, everything is normal except this hacking noise that she makes while awake.  Thanks