my dog may have a bowel obstruction from a bone
My Doberman dog ate a large bone, and now he is unable to have a bowel movement, clearly uncomfortable. I would like to resolve this without taking him to a vet. but not too sure what i can do for him.  I will try soap suds enema today if he's not better but asking for any suggestions.
You need to take him to a veterinarian for evaluation.   It is possible that the bone could pass on its own, but its always bettter to be safe and spend a few dollars on an exam than wait and spend hundreds or thousands on surgery and hospitalization.

How long ago did he eat the bone and how long has it been since he had a bowel movement?

Tomcat
He ate the bone Friday, he had BM's up until yesterday but they were increasingly loose, now he does not have any and i am checking on him on my lunch break and he vomited twice.  he did try to have a bm but he is not passing anything.  You are so right.  I am going to call my vet when i get back to work, but as a nurse we are taught not to panic...so i am trying to resolve the issue my self but i think i need to call the vet. since he started vomiting.

Thanks for the concern
Good luck...I hope things go well for you and your pup!

Tomcat
There is a difference between not panicking, and taking a dog right in to be evaluated for a possible bowel obstruction.

My Dobe had one, and it was very bad.  The longer you wait, the less the potential for a good outcome.

You should take him right in.  Hopefully, its not an obstruction.  But it clearly sounds worrisome.  
Agree....you dont have to run around screaming in a panic stricken frenzy, but swift actions, whether in a human medical situation or a animal situation can save a life, I would think THAT would have been the training a nurse would have.  That was a dumb comment coming from a nurse.  More like "I want to try and fix this myself before I need to spend money" is what I heard from that.