Dogs Community
my dog went into her first heat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

my dog went into her first heat

my dog went into her first heat recently and right after she stopped bleeding her breast got very inlarged like they had milk, i know for a fact she did not have contact with a uneutered male dog so she can not be pregnant. my co-workers female dog would have false pregnancys and when she did her breast would get inlarged with milk but it was 60 so days after she was in heat. i was woundering why my dogs breast got inlarged so fast after her bleeding. any help would be great, thanks!
This just happened to my dog. Except we had boarded her while we were on vacation and we didn't know if she had been with a male or not. I noticed the same thing with the bigger nipples and they were engorged with milk. The milk would even come out when squeezed. I took her to the vet because I was worried since I didn't know for sure if she had been with a male. They did an ultrasound and found no fetal heart beats. Which was a relief for us since we are not trying to breed our dog. The vet told us that more often than not this happens and if it happens once it will happen almost every time she goes through a heat cycle. All you can do it just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't go through any extreme symptoms. For example becoming obsessed with a toy like it was a baby or lick/sucking on her breast to stimulate more milk production. This can cause other health issues. Don't worry though the milk will dry up within a couple weeks and she should be back to normal. I hope this helps and good luck.
Usually symptoms of false pregnancy do start a while after she has been 'on heat'. Often symptoms begin about the equivalent time to the duration of a pregnancy (say 60 days or so) So it is odd that she started with this so soon.
False pregnancy is caused by a surge of hormones, and the only sure-fire cure for it recurring and recurring is to have her spayed. That will also protect her to a certain extent, from the threat of mammary cancer in later life (though not 100%, as the only 100% protection against this is to have the female spayed before her first 'heat'.

I am not an absolute expert on this, although have seen mild signs of false pregnancy in my own dog (who was a rescue dog, and I don't want to put her through the surgery now as she is nearly 12)....with her, if she got any symptoms, they started about 2 months after her 'heat'

It might be wise to consult your vet about your dog, just in case there is any breast inflammation going on.
MY ST BERNARD DID THE SAME THING AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY ALSO IF YOU FIND OUT LET US KNOW WISH I COULD HELP
My Great Dane just ended her 1st heat about 3 most ago, my 2 other females followed her and were in heat about a month after she finished. As the other 2 were in heat my Danes teats got very swollen and developed milk yet she was not pregnant, now they are rock hard, feel very abnormal and leak dark bloody matter when squeezed. I absolutely can't afford to go to see her vet, was praying someone knew what it was and what I can do for her. If anyone knows I will be very much appreciative of your help.

Thank you,
Pamela
hey this is exactly what happened to my lil nelly bell's :(

I noticed about 3 weeks ago that her lil boobies started to grow. she just finished her 1st heat and i am sure she had no male contact. so now 3 weeks after her heat finished, her lil boobies are rock hard.

I called the vet before they had gotten so hard and they asked me if her boobs were hard, at the time they were not. they asked if she seemed happy n healthy and not in pain and if her boobs were hot or leaking. they still are not hot or leaking. she seems fine and happy.

Whats going on with my baby?
Thanks for you input on my dogs situation! If the **** get bigger I will go see a vet!