my dog is a rescue dog and was diagnosed with skin allergy. he was perscribed citrizine and later, steroids. because it all worked out too expensive i used off the counter allergy tablets. i had given him a whole tablet. he is now throwing up, some food and brown liquid. i think this is due to the medicine.
how do we treat his itchyness an bad odure?
how do we treat his throwing up?
Did you talk to your vet first about giving him over counter meds, there are some over the counter meds that are safe for dogs but you should have asked you vet first benadryl claritin and zyrtec are safe but a vet could help and tell you what is safe dose for your dog.What is causing the skin allergies fleas, food, to help him in the long run what never is causing the allergy needs to be addressed and treated.Here are some suggestions to help what going on now this has helped us in the past but pls call you vet first and make sure it OK for your dog.To help with the itching give him a cool bath in a oatmeal base shampoo also 100% aloe helps itching or essential oil of cedar wood and lavender helps cool the itch also hydrocortisone cream helps inflammation and itch also keep the skin dry to help vomiting pepto-bismol 1/2 teaspoon per 10 lbs every 4-6 hr for 24 hr in till he stops vomiting but call vet to be sure it ok.Hope he better soon.I would also call and tell him what you gave him and see what is wrong.
At the risk of upsetting some people, I had a dog once with that same itchiness and bad odor. It is the immune system failing and if not handled properly, things will get worse. The cause of these in many sensitive purebreds are vaccinations. I stopped vaccinating my dog. Then I did everything I could to boost the immune system. I starting cooking for her as opposed to feeding dry or canned food. Raw food diet is also good. Do research on these things and find a good balanced diet. If you can afford it, there are some natural diets that can be delivered to your home frozen. The point is, no processed foods. Zero. If this is what is happening to your dog, the vet can't help you. Stop giving all medications. Find a vet that does acupuncture on animals. Also, there are great holistic vets out there that can be of a huge help to you for this type of problem. The traditional vet will only treat symptoms and the problems will get worse..........this is from my personal experience. Good luck. I would avoid any cortisone as it would hurt the immune system even more. An oatmeal bath might be temporarily soothing. HOLISTIC VET for this one.
Oh, the immune system can be failing for other reasons. I just know what the cause was for my dog. It might be worth an ultrasound and blood test just to check things out a bit more. Would have been nice to know your dogs age.
As far as over-the-counter medicines go for dogs, many times they are not safe. They are formulated for humans, and what is ok for humans is not always safe for dogs, and sometimes even deadly.
However Benadryl is fine for dogs. If you gave him Benadryl that's OK but the dosage has to be right.
The dosage is 1 mg per pound of the dog's weight.
So you would have to see how many milligrams there are in 1 tablet, and break the tablet accordingly.
It sounds like because he is a little dog (how much does he weigh?...10lbs?) You gave him too much. That is why he was sick no doubt. The best answer is to ask the vet's advice about this. You could do this over the phone perhaps. I would not feed him for a while, let his system rest, but make sure he has plenty of water. But please do speak to your vet because I do not know what effect too much Benadryl could have. You need to check this quickly.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.