Dogs Community
nail clipping

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

nail clipping

My dog's nails have gotten pretty long. It costs so much for a vet appointment for him to get them trimmed. I finally decided to try it myself. Well he let me!! No problem. Now I don't know how short to go. I feel like they need to be trimmed more since they nearly or do touch the floor. His nails are clear so I can see the quick well. I am just not sure how close to the pink is safe before I go too far. He is an American Bulldog and I know (not because of his breed, just his personality) that if I hurt him he won't let me trim his nails anymore (I wouldn't blame him!). So can someone tell me how close to the pink quick is safe? I also wondered, the pink that I see, is that all of the quick? Does it turn lighter and extend up the nail more or is the quick only pink?!? Thank you so much for any help!! I want him to be healthy and comfortable.
I think the quick's only pink. I have a maltese and I do his nails sometimes. It helps that they are white/clear colored so I can see the vein real well. Just be very careful! I'd rather have it a little long than go too short and make them bleed. I always give a little room for the white. I don't go all the way up to the vein. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!
Yep, stay away from the pink line.  You're very lucky your dog has light enough nails so you can see what your doing, and that he's so tolerant of having his feet handled!  You might pick up some styptic powder at the pet store to have on hand in case you get a bleeder going.  You just touch some of it to the end of the nail and it stops the bleeding almost immediately.

Also, if you nick the quick, don't freak out.  It will just make the situation that much more traumatic for your dog and make it that much easier for him to relate trimming to something "bad."  As long as you stay calm, he'll stay calm.  It's kind of like taking a child in for innoculations.  LOL!
I hate nail clipping, b/c 2 out of our 3 dogs have black nails.  And they struggle.  As much as we try to be nonchalant about it, 2 of them (the black nail boys!) hate to have their feet touched.

And they're all big boys, 2 Dobes and a Dane.
Wow! Those aren't dogs, they're horses, lol! I'd hate to see your grocery bill. I bet they eat you out of house and home! :)
Thank you so much for your help! My dog never let anyone touch his feet before-we actually gae him a pill to help hiom relax before taking him to get his nails done at the vet in the past. I decided it was time to try again so I spend several days handling his feet at random times and giving him praise for letting me. When it came time to trim- I didn't show him the nail clippers. He did so great! Now I can do it whenever. I trimmed just a bit more after reading your posts! I am still a little hestitant because I don't want to hurt him but I feel more confident. Thanks!!
Great job in conditioning your dog to get used to having his feet handled!  You can also apply the same technique to dogs who are afraid of any grooming tool.  Just start out by having the supplies nearby and simply petting the dog to create a pleasant experience.  Then gradually replace your hand with the brush.  Sometimes the dog is just scared of the noise of the clippers cutting the nail, so the idea is to try to make the same sound with the clippers on something like a stick, before trying it on the dog.  
I have 2 beagle mixes, and they hate getting nails clipped. If I get the clipper out my one dog looks at me and runs to hide under the bed. lol!  I've never hurt them when doing it, they just hate to have it done. so i need to bring them in to the groomer to have it done. I feel bad though b/c i haven't been able to get the time since my son was born in november.  i'll need to get my hubby to watch our lil munckin on his day off so i can take care of the pups. :o)