Dogs Community
night restlessness

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

night restlessness

6267249?1287581172
I have a Walker Hound dog who is a rescue and is about eight or none years old.Lately she has taken to pacing around the bedroom.  Scratching, and going from her bed to another bed on the master bedroom balcony.  She is doing this all night long.  Back and forth and sometimes walking into the bathroom then coming back out to her original spot.   Needless to say I don't get any sleep.  During the day she is whinningat me as if trying to tell me something.  I let her outside and she walks around then comes back in and starts the whole thing over again.  Can anyone help me??
I'm no vet, but she could maybe have a urinary tract infection or kidney stones? she might have the constant feeling that she has to go for a wee. get her checked out. it might be something simple and if its not, at least you will have caught it early.
Good luck
Hi Ruby & welcome......Restlessness, pacing & whining at night (Or day) is a sign of pain.....If you see no other symptoms, I'd say it's likely arthritis. Is your weather turning damper & cooler when this started?

If she hasn't seen a Vet lately, she needs to have a Senior wellness check.....I would have her urine checked too, as it's common for UTI's & stones at this age. (Both are very painful!) Once those are ruled out, an anti-inflammatory for Arthritis is needed.....The ones that your Vet will prescribe work the best...Trust Me!  Arthritis is common in dogs and can be treated easily......You will have this girl sleeping comfortably in no time.  ;)  Good luck and let us know how she is....Karla
I don't know the life expectancy for walker hounds so I don't know if she is considered elderly, but my bulldog did this the last few years of his life due to onset of slight dementia.  It's similar to 'sundowning' in people w/dementia, except in dogs it occurs at night.  He would keep getting up & jump off the bed, wander the house etc.  In his final year he would sometimes get lost in another room, and I'd find him staring at the corner unable to figure out how to turn around.  I don't mean to alarm you, he did this for several years before he passed away and it seemed to wax and wane.  I would try to head it off by keeping him from leaving the bed which worked about 50% of the time.  But I hear you about the lack of sleep on your part!  Sometimes I was so tired from chasing him around I felt like walking into the corner!