This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

odor

Please help! I have an 11 month old female Doberman and a second female doberman who is 5 months old. We have noticed a very repulsive odor coming from our pups, female areas (it seems). It is not poop or urine smelling. They both have had the smell at different times and independent of one another.  It is a smell that I have Never encountered before with any of our other dogs and is soooooo very bad. It seems to be a fishy musty kind of smell...not just a dirty dog smell. Also does this have anything to do with the "in heat cycle"? I know that male dogs can smell females in heat, but could it be this if we can smell it too. It does seem to be coming from their female area and it is not all the time. However when it does occur it is the worst I have ever encountered. Please help, they are in the house when it is cold outside (like now) and this is a real problem. I swear sometimes it seems as though there is an unseen discharge, it is that bad. Thank you.
Now, this is difficult. We all have different "smell-thresholds" I have an acute sense of smell, but a high threshold (that comes from my exposure to countryside nasties where I live!!)
All female dogs during their 'heat' cycle will have some odour. It does smell quite strong, and is rather like the smell from a used sanitary towel. But that is quite natural (though to our sensitivities, when we are used to deodorizers, and perfumes, it can smell a bit too 'raw')

Anything which smells really rank (and I mean like something infected, or very nasty) could mean there is something wrong, and that should be checked out thorougly, as in unspayed females it can signify Pyometra, which is a dangerous infection of the womb.
That however, usually, though not always, comes with vaginal discharge which is foul smelling and not clear. Occasionally there is no discharge, and that is from "closed" Pyometra, which is even more serious, and needs immediate attention. However both open and closed Pyometra have other symtoms (symptoms). The dog will probably start drinking an awful lot of water, may vomit, will be very listless, and probably won't eat. If your girls seem very fit and well, it doesn't really sound like this.....but maybe to be sure, ask your vet.

So really.....how bad IS the smell?

There is another possibility....that this smell is in fact from their anal glands (not a poop smell, much worse!)  The easy, but unpleasant solution to that is to have their anal glands drained. For the first time it's better to have that done at the vet's. Then later maybe you could learn to do this yourself (if you have the stomach for it!)