Dogs Community
old dog retching

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

old dog retching

9637118?1383797406
My dog has for quite some time developed retching every singe time he has a drink of water and eventually does bring back up a small amount of water/clear fluids.  In these last few months this has increased but no longer necessarily related to drinking water and is irregular, perhaps more pronounced later at night where I can hear a 'wetness' to his breathing.  He is close to 14 years of age, German Sheppard cross Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle dog) and a large dog 45kg.  His exercise is now limited to less than a km.  His breathing rate is normal at rest.

I took him to the vet who could not hear his heart properly nor his breathing.  Her excuse was his weight.  Her next suggestion was to take 4 x-rays (1 attached) to check for heart size and fluids in his lungs (possible early onset of congestive heart failure and or cardiomyopathy).  $300 later the x-rays are examined and his heart size looks normal and no other advice (e.g.' fluids in his lungs) is provided.  In other words I am not given a prognosis of any type nor prescribed any medication to deal with my dogs symptoms! I asked about furosemide (Lasix) but was refused any treatment until it was clearer to both veterinary doctors (includes senior partitioner) that there is a reason for it.

With that excuse in mind, I am next asked if I would mind if they sent the x-rays onto another veterinary for an 'expert' advice at a cost of another $130
Hello, was I born yesterday?  Where does all this end and what happened to my other $300 for the x-rays and consultation fees of $65 for 15 minutes?
I like to think that Veterinary doctors have worked hard to be where they are now and should be paid for their valuable services, but I start asking questions when I walk out of the vet practice empty handed for my $365.

After a stern discussion, I was able to get the x-rays emailed (apparently even though I paid $300 for them I do not own them!), so here I am.  Can anyone qualified, able to check these x-rays, identify anything abnormal and recommend any course of action?

Thank you very much for your support.