old dog with cds or dementia
Within 3 months my 10 year old dachshund mix went from perfect health to the following: near blindness, disorientation, no desire to go outside the house (therefore urinates and poops in the house), wimpering, loss of weight (24# down to 16#), pacing, standing at walls, running into objects.  We have only had 2 sets of urinalysis and blood tests run that show only elevated liver enzymes.  Our vet is treating him for dementia with generic Anapryl.  We're waiting for 2 months to notice change, but after 6 weeks, still no change.  We are also giving him Deremaxx for pain.  He's eating dry food and cooked chicken and drinking water.  His symptoms fit those of cds cognitive dysfunction syndrome.  But I am concerned that the symptoms started full force without any warning.
Any suggestions, please.  
I am not an expert but to do the best for your dog and for your own piece of mind suggest you take him to a veterinary teaching hospital if at all possible.