Dogs Community
pomeranians throat problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

pomeranians throat problems

my pomeranian has been having loud noises

coming from her throat, while she is dry heaving.can you tell why she does this  i notice she does it more when she lays in front of the fan for long periods of time. i have taken her to the vet and she has been on antibiotics & antinflammatory pills. she still continues to having problems                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         /
Hello & welcome....I just posted an answer to another question....It will pertain to your dog, too.....See if any of it helps answer your question......Karla

It will be 2 posts under yours...Titled:  "My Dog Wheezes"....
Pomeranians and other toy breeds are prone to a condition called collapsing trachea.  This happens when the cartilage rings that hold the trachea open weaken and collapse inward, narrowing the trachea and resulting in a loud, snoring-like noise.  Different things can trigger this from a coughing spell to vomiting to irritation by something (the air being blown into her face by laying in front of the fan, perhaps?).  

Since it is not caused by a virus or bacteria, antibiotics and antiinflammatory pills will not have much of an effect on it.  Antibiotics DO become effective, however, if the collapsing trachea makes it difficult to impossible for the dog to clear mucus from its throat, since the mucus in the throat can lead to an infection from a buildup of bacteria.  

Are you a smoker?  Much of the time, an owner who is a smoker is one of the triggers of a collapsing trachea.  The smoke in the air becomes a constant irritant to the dog and that irritation causes a cough that causes the collapse.  Obesity in the animal is another trigger.

Keep an eye on your dog's color when she has an attack.  As long as her mucous membranes remain a healthy pink color, the collapse is not so great that it is severely impacting her ability to take in air and, hence, oxygen.  If she becomes cyanotic (bluish tinted mucous membranes), take her to the vet immediately so that he can put her on oxygen and start some kind of treatment to open up the trachea again rather than waiting for it to correct itself.  

You can learn more about collapsing trachea by doing a Google search on the subject.

Please let us know how she is doing.  

Ghilly
My doxie and my chorkie have the same problem. Its actually an allergy. There is something in the air that is being passed through the fan that the little one is allergic to. Also the fan is probably drying her throat and nostrals out. :-) She will be fine, you will actually probably notice once the allergy season comes to pass and she doesnt lay in front of the fan that she will not have it again until the next year.