Dogs Community
posted a pic of sore on dogs leg need help what is it?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

3594252?1225371381
I posted a question about a week ago concerning my dog that had a rash around her vulva , I saw the vet he gave me cream for fungal infection this has now cleared up ...but now my beagle has a strange sore like rash on her leg which was recently operated on cruciate ligament,  the vet has also said it is probably fungal and to use the same cream..he did a scraping and also used the wood lamp and couldnt   confirm that this is the same problem...He is having difficulties trying to solve this problem... I am going back to the vet on saturday but want to know if anyone has any idea or have seen this on there dogs before...if so what was it? and how was it treated?
I posted Picture of sore on leg...

ne55
does anyone know what this could possibly be...has anyone had similar looking sores on there dogs legs ...?
may have to use prednisone- our German shepherd  had something similar and the prednisone was not the best option since he already had thyroid imbalance but it was the only drug that gave him comfort

there are also antifungals/ ketoconazole I think to take orally and they are expensive- may have to stay on it for several months, but then it still always came back- it was maddening- our dog chewed at his area

Your dr sent the scraping to an outside lab also? Ours did this next when he could not confirm anything at his lab- good luck.....

we treated for years and years going in circles- other drs even were sure we did everything possible- now don't get scared from a few doses or two but LONG TERM over years of prednisone can be harmful- our dog finally passed away because his immune system became compromised- as I said- also was fighting thyroid condition and the same time-

have they tried antibiotics?
I don't know what it is. My dog has the same looking problem had many test's done and hundreds of dollars in vet bills and nothing. Hundred dollar antibotics and washes.Fed up with the vet  I went to the local pet store and sought out what they have. I bought some wound lotion and shampoo it says its for bacteria and virus and some skin conditions. With in two days I notice a big improvement. The lotion did not appear to sting the dog, it does not stain. My dog almost seemed to enjoy it when I put it on him. My dogs spot started to spread you may want to watch out for that. It had me really worried till I notice the lotion seemed to be working, at least working better than anything the vet gave us. I think sometimes the test's the vet does may come back with a false postive or negative. Something to think about. I been taking my pets to my vet for many years. A few years back I had a old dog that started to get sick at his old age. i wasn't to happy with what the vet had to say so Itook him to another vet and they said the same thing. I do think he knows what he is talking about. They work with information they have. Maybe this will be helpful.
thanks for the comments, I am going to the vets today to see what he says I was thinking it could be some type of bacterial now and not fungal could be why the fungal cream is not working,,, this is very frustrating ...once I find out what this is and I can get a treatment to work I will post the findings on here ...I am just hoping this isnt caused by some immune compromised disease...
thanks again for your comments it has been helpful..

ne55
have you tried that yellow sulphur spray? I think that's what is a good antibacterial- it does stain though. just something to try if your vet is still CONFUSED...... pls keep us posted...
I have just come back from the vets..this is what he had to say...
first he syringed some fluid and blood from the sore and placed it under a microscope and looked at the cells he said there was some low bacteria fighting cells and also large mast cells which indicates fighting infection something like that anyway he is pretty sure now that it is a bacterial infection but this could possibly be a symptom of another problem or disease maybe but didnt say what.. when I asked him..he said not to worry just yet we will try to treat first with a antibiotic injection and antibiotics orally specific for skin infections and see how this goes , if it still continues then further tests will need to be done.
So hopefully this works we should see healing results within a couple of days if no change well its something else...
I had a feeling it wasnt fungal like ringworm etc this is what he gave me the cream for before..I am also going to get some spray or ointment from the petstore to help it along ....
I also didnt mention before she had a mast cell tumour removed over a year ago and one of the symptoms is rashes,loss of hair and skin infections so I am hoping she hasnt got that but we cant see any tumours on her ! so I dont think,  and the vet doesnt think ,this is whats causing it...

it can get pretty expensive having to go to the vets all the time so I am hoping this works...!

thanks again for your post..
cheers:)
ne55

Hi There. PLEASE try to give you dog at least 1000 mg of Vitamin C (capsules)  and 600 IU Vit D with antibiotics and lots to drink too. Antibiotics will weaken dogs immune system so Vit C wll keep it strong. And I guarantee your dogs sores will dissipate after a week or two on Vit C and D.
My Charlie had an infection on her skin something similar to what your dog has and I did  take her to the vet and $ 75 dollars later she was still suffereing.....I changed her diet and gave her lots of vit C and D.
Trust me they eat this dry food and it supposed to be full of vitamins but I doubt that there is any vitamins there...and how can we check this? we just have to trust the manufacturer! and what about this melamine scam!!!! I don't know anymore.
Hope this helps.
Hugs,Sunes.

im going to do what you said it sounds like you hit the nail on the head ...she has been under alot of stress from the operation and this could of brought her immune system down...just a question can I give her human vitamin c tablets and d tablets or do i have to buy this from the vet or pet store ... if I can how much of the tablet should I give my 18kg dog...
thanks sunes for your help :)

hugs,ne55
it sure is an odd coincidence though that it is on the same site as the surgery- hmmmmm

so glad you have some ideas to work with  though-- Good luck
I know that Vitamins for animals are not any different than for humans therefore I
  buy just a regular (for human consumption) Vit C - ascorbate(byffered with calcium for better absorbtion) in powder form and make my own capsules.   Vet would probably not have the cheap stuff you can get . I pay $50.00 for 1 kg of the Vit C powder and it lasts me a long time.. I get Vit D also for human consumption  the best absorbed by the body is Vit D in liquid form. 1 drop is about 1000 IU ( 25 micrograms) which will be sufficient for your dog .
Hope this helps.Sunes.
So what ever happened to your dog's skin problem?  I have a german shepard also, and she also has this lick granuloma that i've read about here http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/lick.html.  I think it may be because she's 9 years old, and I've noticed that she's getting sluggish to get up and walking like she is in some joint pain, so because the joints are hurting her, she may be licking and chewing at the joint because of the pain.  I think I may try giving her vitamins, and also ointment and bandages.  I'm not sure what else to do.  So please update us on how your doggy is now.  Thank you!
The dog I had some years ago, a Jack Russell, got exactly the same kind of rash on his leg. I think he got it 2 or 3 times in his life (14 years) I knew a lot less about dogs in those days, but quite a lot about herbs. I probably should have taken him to the vet, but would have only considered doing that if the herbs hadn't worked!
I used to bathe it with Echinacea Angustifolia Tincture, let down with a few drops of water, on a cotton-wool pad. This always cleared it. A scab would form, and I continued to bathe it until it healed. (a few days)
Echinacea, in small doses is ok for dogs. It will help the immune system fight a little better. However it is NEVER to be used if there is an auto-immune disease.

But it is important to bathe thoroughly and for as long a time as possible. Also it was hard to stop him licking it all off afterwards. Ingesting a little would do more good than harm, but not lick it all off.  I used to get something like dog toothpaste (chicken flavoured) and rub it into my hands, so he'd be distracted by licking my hands for a good 1/2 hour!!
i have been fighting this for some time. finally started spraying athletes foot spray on them.it worked
i have a bull terrier and he continues to get a sore with blood on his right rear leg, have taken him to the vet and he has been on predisone and antibiotics. they work for a couple of months then comes back, trying to find some kind of other remedy since i don't want him to be on antibiotics consistently. any ideas?
Hi Rex & welcome....My quess is that it's food orietated....However, here's what to do:

Go to "Organic Pet Digest"....
On the left, click the "Online Vet Library" Tab
Scroll down through the categories....

Look for Section:   Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots
And section:  Dog Warts, Cysts, Growths

There will be pictures & suggestions as to what they are and what the cause......

Good luck & come back and let me know if it helps you out.......Karla
My dog has this swelling on his leg and some bumps with fluid coming out he even has this skin infection my vet charges an arm and a leg for a visit my dog is 13 years old he is an American Pit Bull do you know of any over the counter stuff I can use on him like human stuff that would not cost a lot of money any help would be great
dalejrmom88, welcome to the MedHelp Dogs Community!  You might want to start a new thread to ask your question.  This thread that you have chosen to attach your question to is over 4 years old and not likely to get any attention from anyone who can help you.

To start a new thread, go to the top of the page and click the button that says "Post a Question".  When you click that, it will open up a new page where you can type in your question and give the thread a title of its own.  When you are finished typing, you click the "Post" button just like you do for any other post.  Now your question will have its own thread with a current date on it and you will receive the help you deserve instead of taking the chance that nobody will read the very old thread and see the question.

Ghilly
While this is probably not the advice you were hoping for, unfortunately the only thing you can do to make sure your dog's problem is taken care of correctly is to have the vet evaluate him.

It sounds like he has multiple problems going on and without seeing him, it's impossible to tell what those problems might stem from.  The skin infection could be due to food allergies or it could be flea bite dermatitis or it could even be from something much more serious like Cushing's Disease or an autoimmune problem.

The swelling on his leg can be something fairly minor like a sprain or strain, or it could be something deadly, like cancer.  None of this can be determined online in an internet forum, your vet MUST see the dog in order for him to be properly treated.

Please keep us updated.

Ghilly
my dog has a large red spot on his back thigh no drainage or bleeding just real hard any body got any ideals