Dogs Community
pregnant dog

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

pregnant dog

My German Shepard  mix is pregnant and This is my first litter of pups and im not really sure one what is normal during labor and what is not do you mind telling me so i cant be on a look out and put my mind to ease?  She got pregnant around April 13th we were not sure it took but apparently it did.  The male, buddy alerted me to a seizure as she is a seizure alert dog so we hoped they would breed and take. I train service dogs  for a living there are so many who need specifically seizure alert dogs and these pups would be from both seizure alert dogs hopefully they would have the natural ability to alert as well. Shes leaking a lot of fluids lately  her uterus is very swollen, lactating, but shes not acting any different is this normal?? How long does labor normally last for a dog and what are the signs of her going into labor?

thanks
Ok I have a german sheperd and I bread her 2 times. They are pregnat for 60 to 63 days. you count from the frist day they breed. What will happen is they will start diggen a nest and acking real restless, her vagina will be swollen and normaly they will have a type of green discaregd comming out when they start labor.  They can be in labor for 24 hours. when she is about to give birth she will squate and push for a little bit. When she starts that the frist baby is on its way. You just need to watch her real close but give her space as well. After the frist baby comes it could take a hour before the next one comes. But if she is pushing for more than a hour then it is time to take her to a vet right away. The puppy might be stuck and she will need help, or the contractions had stoped, all she needs is a shot to get it going again. My girl had 8 her frist time and 10 the second time. both times i had to take her to the vet so she could have the shot and then they just flew out. Keep a vets number by you and if you get nevors or anything just give them a call. But it sounds like she might be in labor.

Also, make sure the placenta comes out with every baby, it is ok to let her eat one or two cause it is real good for the milk, but only two at the most or she will just throw it back up. And make sure she dose not bite the embilicle cord to short, I just grabe the puppy and get all the fluied out with a asperraterd and clean it off. And make sure every puppy feeds for the frist time. It is inportant to know how may puppys she will be having so you might want to take her in and see how many. if you want you can email me if you are nervous or have more questions, I might be able to talk you through it. My email is  ***@****. I hope everything gose good for you and your dog.