Dogs Community
pug with weak back legs after seizure

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

pug with weak back legs after seizure

about two and a half months ago my female pug porkchop age 5 and a half years, had a seizure she was in the seizure for  3 minutes , her body was rigid, eyes bulging, front and back legs stiff and sticking out , she was incontinent of feaces at the same time, anyway i took her the vets that night as she has never had any health problems in the 5 and a half years i have had her, since she had seizure she has a weakness in her back legs and sometimes it is that bad she falls over, her front ones are fine, the vet said it could be a nerve in her back and that is why she was wobbly but it could be from the seizure, she had a one week course of steroids, she has had no scans or anything like that, the vet said it would take a while for her legs to get better, but never stated a time i am now worried that her legs will always be like this and will get worse with time, does anyone know what is the normal time for the legs to recover from the trauma of the seizure , and is there any supplements to strengthen them, or does she need more exercise to strengthen them, i am at a loss as i have had her back the vets and got told the same thing that it will take a few weeks but she is still the same, when i take her out now she has to wear a bandage on her right hand side back foot because she drags it a little and takes the skin of it, so it has to be covered when she goes out , so any help would be appreciated. she is also not able to make it to the door for a poop sometimes in time , it is almost as if she can't tell when its coming.
Tags: pugs weak legs
Did she get better during the week of steroids and then get worse after she finished them, or was she the same?
she has had no more seizures, some days she walks ok and others not , steroids didn't seem to make much difference at all , the only way to describe her is she looks drunk when she walks, she doesn't cry in pain and is still bullying our other dog so her personality is still the same, i have noticed she seems more wobbly on the leg when she is tired or just getting up if she has been sat down for a while, the incontinence has only been occurring the last month, but again after her seizure, it only happens maybe twice a week, but i picked her up last week to give her a kiss and she fell on the chair as i put her down and the poop just came out of her on the chair.
EVERYTHING  (Except the seizure) you describe points to a Spinal Problem....Sounds like IVDD  (Intervertebral Disk Disease).

You need a second opinion on this one......This can be treated, but I'm also concerned about the seizure along with the now paralysis.....You need a Vet that will get to the bottom of this ASAP.....

She needs xrays of her spine to look for disk protrusions and/or a tumor pressing on her spine.....A tumor could also be related to the seizure...I'm not trying to scare you, but something is not right!

Find a Vet that will take this seriously.....I would NOT wait....If this is a disk problem, more exercise will make it worse...She would need to be kept quiet for weeks and let the disk heal.......Either way, you need to find out what your dealing with......Please, keep us updated.....Karla
Misfits4me is right...you need to get a second opinion.
I do know of another disease that could be causing the problem with the back legs...
It is called Degenerative Myelopathy..it does affect the spinal cords of dogs.  From what I have read, Pugs are one of the breed that are more prone to it. It is genetic, and symptoms usually occur sometime after 5 years of age...
So...do some internet research on IVDD (Intervertebral Disk Disease) as Karla suggested,
and also  on DM..(degenerative myelopathy )....then question your vet about the possibility of these diseases....and /or start looking for a second opinion.
Connie