puppy ate 1mg of a suboxone pill
my 10 lb shitzu-pomeranian mix puppy ate about 1 mg or less than a suboxone pill.  Vets are closed.  She seems a bit lethargic.  She wont take a step she just lays down wherever I put her. Please help me what can I do? I did not induce vomiting because suboxone disolves in the mouth and by the time I noticed I think it would of been too late.  I am keeping a close watch on her.  How will I know if she is in distress? Please please help me!
Hi!

I answered your other post before I saw this one.  That seems like a lot of medication for such a small dog.  I would get her to an Emergency vet ASAP for evaluation.  In the meantime, I would make sure she is still breathing evenly, not too shallow or erratic. Is she eating or drinking?
Get her to an ER vet NOW.  Lethargy is a sign that she is already in trouble.
I agree with the above responses........

How many hours has it been? Is she any better? It could be wearing off by now.....

SUBOXONE is a class of Opiates....Yes, like Opium!  It is actually used for pain management in dogs and drug addiction in people......However, your girl has had a very high dose.......

Sedation is the #1 side effect and it's also used for this purpose......It can be taken 2-4 times a day for pain....Overdose is rare in people, but I don't know about puppies.....You didn't say how old a puppy she is.......

The reason she cannot walk is that she is "loaded"! Don't force her to stand....And don't put her up on a couch or anything elevated.....(She can fall & break a limb).

It is processed through the Liver, so flushing the Kidneys would not help.....

Watch her breathing!!! Is it normal? Another side effect is slow rate of breathing.....This is common, but she can also quit breathing!  This is what you need to worry about.....
Watch closely! The effects should start wearing off  after 6-8 hrs.

I don't know what an ER Vet would do in this case.....Possibly Oxygen to help her breathing & Medication to protect the liver from damage......

Please, come back and let us know what you find out & how she is........Karla
One mg of Suboxone is a TREMENDOUS overdose for a dog.  It could easily overdose an opiate-naive human.  Your dog will die of pulmonary failure if you don't get her to a vet immediately.
Please come back and let us know about your puppy......Karla
Thanks to everyone that responded.  My baby girl is fine!  After a couple of hours she was her normal self.   I of course kept her with me and checked  her breathing and her heartbeat. I had the pill on my nightstand and went to the restroom and when I came back I noticed my nightstand looked wet as if she had licked it.  I panicked immediately, then I noticed the pill on my blanket.  It was broke in half and both pieces were there except for a tiny  corner.  Much to my surprise, she didn't eat it, I have learned my lesson and will never leave anything that can potential harm her.  It scared the heck out of me, thank goodness, I never would have forgiven myself if I had lost my baby I love her and her brother simba so much.  Once again thank you all!
Oh Good.....Thank you for the response....I'm so glad she's fine!  Nothing like learning lessons the hard way. :(  Happens here, too. Even though I always think all bases are covered!

Take care & Happy New Year!     Karla
I'm so glad she is okay!!  I love happy endings!
To the person who said 1 mg of Suboxone would overdose a opiate-naive human.. That is absolutely incorrect. "Overdose" on Suboxone is literally impossible. Mixing Suboxone with alcohol, anti-anxiety, anti-depressants or any other CNS Depressant can cause severe breathing problems (even death) especially while sleeping when the rate of breathing is naturally more shallow. But Suboxone ALONE (especially at a very low dose such as 1mg) is highly unlikely to cause these problems in healthy people with no pre-existing breathing problems or conditions. Suboxone is generally dosed in 2mg tabs/strips to opiate addicts. Even if the person is not an addict, or has never used opiates, a dose as low as 1mg, or even 2mg isn't likely to get the person "loaded." A ten pound dog, maybe. But not a full-grown adult. It is certainly not enough to kill a person, even if they were also taking other Central Nervous System Depressants, and had asthma. Only moderate to high doses of Suboxone (8mg and up) mixed with CNSD's are likely to cause severe breathing problems that can result in death. Even children under the age of 5 have been known to consume unattended Suboxone and only suffer from nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, along with some crankiness due to the stomach discomfort. I hope this information helps!
Dr. Oswald, Ph. D and Licensed Addiction Medicine Admin. and Treatment Specialist.
excuse me dr. Oswald..... you are giving a bunch of FALSE informattion. I agree that 1 mg of suboxone could not kill a healthy adult! but if they were opiate naive, THEY WOULD BE LOADED! And 1mg if more than enough to stop a dog from breathing. Putting out false info like this is very dangerous. I'am sorry to say you have no idea what you are talking about. I have been on suboxone for years and when i started using the first time i took 2 mgs of suboxone and was extremely loaded! People listen to you and may take your advise and pay a very steep price. please know what you are saying.
You haven't the slightest clue what your talking about!!!
seriously this guy is dangerous. CLEARLY NOT A REAL DOCTOR. Some clown who thinks he knows it all.
If you need some help with a problem(?) this post is well
over FOUR YEARS OLD so it makes it hard to get a return
answer on these posts.
You can come back on the forum and repost a question
and this will be seen sooner as it would then be a new post.
Jan
answer on these posts.
Jan