Dogs Community
puppy being picky?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

puppy being picky?

I am new to this site and was hoping for some advice.
My puppy is a 15 week german shephard girl..beautiful.
I brought her home 5 days ago with her eating twice daily by her breeder with a food called taste of the wild..all stage dog food.
The first night she ate great..after that she is so picky..I leave her food down for 15 minutes and I am cutting back on treats and reading everything on advice.
Any feedback on just feeding twice daily and the food itself?
Also, as a puppy should I give her the 15 minute rule and take the food away?
Thank you,
Lisa
My puppy is a year old now. I recall how she would play with her food, then my older dog would do in and take what she left. I think it is like a child, they don't need as much as your giving them in one setting. Her tummy is small. I fed mine three times a day.
The food, I want to suggest that you buy her a large breed puppy food, the reason is you do not want her to grow too quickly as her bones will not be as strong. You are going to hear 1000 different suggestions on dog food brands. My vet had me using Purina Pro large breed puppy. I feed her about 1 1/2 cups morning and night and 1 cup at noon. If you can't feed at noon, don't worry about it, just feed her some a little later if you want.
Don't forget you can give a small piece of apple, banana, carrots as treats. I put apple in the kongs and she enjoys working on that. Oh, my dog is a BC, and will never be as large as your dog. Ask your vet for the correct amount of food.
Also, I would take her in to have her check out as she might have worms, or even be ill. Just to be on the safe side.
Please post back what you learn ~ Take good care of your baby  :)    
I haven't had a puppy for a long time, so I'm not sure about feeding them, but if shes not eating I would take away ALL treats.  Our dog, who is eleven, was on Taste of the Wild, and after awhile stopped eating it, she is very picky.  Its supposed to be a pretty good food, I think its grain free, which is good.