Dogs Community
puppy exposed to marijuana smoke

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

puppy exposed to marijuana smoke

hi i just want to know if a 4 month old puppy is affected by second hand smoke from this drug can it affect her health
and disposition and learning capabilites she is a beautiful little puppy and i hate the thought of this happening
Tags: marijuana
Is this your puppy? Or someone else's, and you are worried about the environment she lives in?
Marijuana is generally not a good idea for dogs. But if it is occasional, the smoke is the odd wisp here and there (rather than a room constantly or completely fogged-up with smoke), there's plenty of fresh air circulating in her environment, and she gets plenty of outdoor time, then catching the odd wisp here and there will probably not do her too much harm.
About 20 years ago, I  had a dog who was in a room where people smoked marijuana, maybe about once a month (my partner used to smoke it) I didn't know there could be any possible dangers attached to marijuana smoke in those days! Anyway, the outcome was that the dog showed no ill-effects whatsoever, ran like the wind, had excellent general health, a balanced (though typical terrier) temperament, no neurological problems, and lived to be 14.
I'm not saying the smoke didn't have any effect on him, and I would try not to expose the dog I have now to a drugged atmosphere, but all I'm saying is it didn't seem to harm HIM.
However, with a growing puppy, it's best to be careful.
thanks ginger, no it is not my puppy i just have concerns about the little girl and her health and wanted to know side effects if any
The most dangerous thing that could happen would be for her to eat any of the marijuana or to get any food (cakes etc) prepared with it. Then she would be in trouble. The side effects of ingestion would begin with: loss of co-ordination,listlessness,dilated pupils,slow heart rate, possible urinary incontinence, and if the toxicity level was high enough could lead to cardio-vascular involvement, and eventually coma and death. Apparently Marijuana slows down the vomiting reflex, and emetic drinks might not work, but if veterinary help was found immediately on first being aware she had eaten Marijuana, charcoal would probably be given, which would bind to the toxins, and carry them out of the body.

Constantly breathing thick Marijuna smoke might bring on some of the side effects, and I cannot think that is a good idea, or a healthy lifestyle for a little pup. But, as I said, a few wisps of it blowing though the air now and again will probably not cause any trouble for her.
But the main danger would be if she ate it. Marijuana has a bad habit of being dropped on the floor, so I always noticed (from the bad old days) Whenever anyone rolled a joint, they nearly always dropped some, and there was a frantic search for it, rugs pushed back....etc!
It would be so easy for her to eat some accidentally. If I were pressed for my opinion, it would be: Keep weed away from dogs.
However, if the owners of this little pup are thoughtful and responsible, they can hopefully adapt their smoking habit to consider their little pup. Or, cut it out altogether.
if your dog is itching why don't u just scratch it.