Dogs Community
rabies

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

rabies

hello, i have a question guys, ive got bitten by my dog and i am worried of having rabies, If after 10 days, the my dog is still alive, should I stop worrying? please answer my question, im very tensed :(
As I said before, a dog can only shed the virus and transmit it through a bite a few days before and during the time it is showing signs of being rabid. An animal can have rabies for weeks, months, and possibly years without showing signs, but it is not able to transmit the virus. So, if the animal is alive 10 days after you were bitten, you should not be infected. You were right to follow up with your doctor and receive the rabies post-exposure treatment though since it sounds like the phillipines has a high risk of exposure.
Are you in the US? If so, there hasn't been a case of rabies in this country for over 50 years (I have read) so I wouldn't worry too much. Be sure to clean the wound though.   Dogs are all supposed to get rabies shots, can't be licensed without them. Hasn't your dog had his shots? You should go to the vet and get him his shots. There are other diseases he is at risk for like distemper and parvo. Please get it done! Those are very serious diseases.
You are correct, if you are bitten by a dog  that is your pet or someone else's pet, the dog should be quarantined for 10 days. That means, no contact with other humans or animals and goes outside only to potty and comes back in. An animal infected with the rabies virus can only spread the virus through saliva (a bite) a couple days before and during the time it is showing rabid signs such as hypersalivation, inability to swallow, altered neurologic state, aggression, and sometimes they can have the "dumb" form where they are minimally responsive and lethargic. Once they are showing the rabid signs, they will die in 2-9 days. If the dog is not showing signs after 10 days from the bite, it is not considered to be able to spread rabies. It is also recommended that the dog receive a rabies booster at the end of the 10 day period if they are not current on rabies.
hello sir, i'm from the philippines and here, we are allowed to tame dogs even we dont have a license. So i think that is the reason why hundreds of filipinos die from rabies, and i don't want to be one of them. I should get my pet vaccinated
hi sir shannon781, I'm very glad you answered my question, today is the 14th day after i was bitten, and i did not felt any symptoms like fever within the 14 days. So maybe im not infected. Thank you sir for the help, that made a relief. And one thing, i was bitten by our dog November last year, and i got vaccinated immediately(it was a rabi4 vaccine). And now, the current incident happened last January 4, 2013.Can the first vaccine still effect after 2 months?  
I am not sure about the details of the human rabies booster, but the key is if the dog that bit you was alive 10 days after, not whether you are feeling any symptoms or not..that could take months to years.
uhm, do you mean that the vaccine could still effect in months or years ?
i also read an article sir that it takes 2 weeks to many months for rabies to develop in dogs, the case is if the dog that bit me is still alive 10 days after, would i be safe, and is this a proof that the dog is not developing rabies in its body ?
another question sir, it is possible that a dog can spread rabies by biting a human without showing signs that it has rabies?
Every question you pose is possible, most not likely.

Life is a risk, stop worring and enjoy it.
thank you so much sir!