ranger hit by car/ brain injury
My dog was hit by a car, left side of his head took the damage. He is home after 4 days in E-Vet, and I realize only time will tell but does anyone have any encouragement, advice etc.... it sure would help as I am feeling stressed & heartbroken. Doctor says he survived because he is a pitbull and has a tough head! He has a factured jaw & teeth misssing which can't be fixed yet. He will respond to his name but may have blindness on one side....He seems to want to walk in circles in the house but outside is better..... my husband accidently dropped the leash. It is constant observation & he won't eat or drink on his own yet. Has anyone been in this position before?
I am so sorry to hear that happened to your poor dog! That is amazing he is still alive after such a bad injury. Of course you are going to feel upset and very worried. I know, I would.
He has come through thus far. Pit bulls are tough little things. But he will be feeling very beat-up right now, and you can expect him not to be his normal self.

OK, I don't have enough experience or knowledge of head injuries like this. Hopefully another helpful soul here will have the advice you need right now.

Al I can offer you is,  my Aunt has 2 cats, and one of them was hit by a car last year, with nasty head injuries, similar to what you have described with your dog. The cat had 2 surgeries (not cheap though) has lost an eye, and had many teeth removed, was walking in circles for a while, which upset my Aunt badly to watch this, had to have its jaw wired, and had to be hand-fed with liquidized food for a while. Now, the cat has made a full recovery, looks a little like a pirate, but is not suffering in any way, and is enjoying its life (though has a phobia about cars now) It is still fit and well in other ways, and eats and drinks normally, though it cannot eat dry food now.
So I hope that will help you a little.

I presume now your dog is out of ER, you will take it to your regular vet, for him to assess the damage? Or maybe recommend further treatment? That might be a good idea.

I do wish you well.  Please do post back when you get time, to tell us how he's doing.

I
Your dog is in my thoughts.  I have nothing extra to add beyond Gingers excellent words.  Be sure to let the vet know if he doesn't start eating something.

Can you syringe blenderized food or fluids into his mouth at all?