Dogs Community
red / brown discharge after spaying

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

red / brown discharge after spaying

our 20 month old great dane was spayed on 02/02/12. Vet checked all ok the week after but we have now noticed a redish brown mucus discharge from her vagina. she's still full of beans and eating normally etc - is this a vet emergency or can we wait til tomorrow? anyone know what it is? please help and thanks x
I am so sorry. I remember answering this yesterday! Only something must have happened and it didn't go through.
I think you should take her back to be checked. It's unlikely, but could just possibly be a bit of infection from part of the cervical area left in after surgery.
On the other hand it could be normal post-surgery discharge, but it is a good 2 weeks since her spaying, and any slight bloodstained discharge should have cleared up by now.
Go and get her checked out again.
What color are her gums?  Are they the normal bright pink color or are they pale?  If they are normal and pink it COULD just be some residual discharge from where they sutured the stump that was left when the uterus was removed.  If her gums are pale then I would call the vet and let them know, it could be that something happened to one or more of the internal stitches and it needs to be fixed.  Keep an eye on her gums though, they will be the key to whether or not she is bleeding internally.  I would also notify the vet about this just so they are aware of it.  They may want to re-examine her just to be on the safe side.  Please let us know how she is.

Ghilly
Hi I brought my 9 month puppy into be spayed. I noticed a lump were her stiches were. I brought her back in 1 week later they put her on Clavamox. Then I noticed a reddish brown clear mucus discharge from vagina I brought her back in 2 days later. The vet added another antibiotic. He also took a swab of the mucus which is coming out constanly. He told me there was NO infection but in the same sentence told me there were white blood cells. I thought that ment infection. Please help. I am very concerned and would like to know if this is normal.