Dogs Community
renal failure in age 13 toy poodle

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

renal failure in age 13 toy poodle

i thankfully just landed on this site and am getting some much appreciated info.  my 13 year old poodle is in stage 3 renal failure.  for the past week she has been at the vet every day - all day for subcutaneous fluids blood tests etc. she is not eating or drinking except when i give a dropper with liquids.  ultrasound shows that kidneys dont look bad and water in bladder however, she is not peeing much and not eating at all.  she was not walking around at all but is now walking a little, wants to go near her water bowl and lie down but will not drink.  her breath smells very bad,; vet says that her creatine level is 3.8 and her bun levels are off the chart and have not changed since last monday.  we continue to bring her for sub. fluids - however she looks puffy - the unfortunate thing is that she also has heart disease so the two water pills she was taking, the pet stopped.  she is now only on vetmedin three times a day - and also a pill for nausea - the vet gave that to her yesterday - however, it does not seem to be helping. i am not sure if i am trying to keep her alive for me- a very selfish thing - i really am at a loss - today we are due to go back for fluids at 10:00am - i told the vet that we will bring her and take her home - then again at 5:00 we will bring her again - has anyone had this experience and had their pet revive to some sort of quality life - even just eating .  this has been for 7 days- i am home most of the time so the issue of taking care of her all day is not an issue - i just dont want to sustain her life in a selfish way - i have read so many beautiful thougts on this site that when i got on it i was crying inconsolably; but, after reading i realize that there are so many of us who love our pets without ending - constant and loving companions that will never be replaced.  it is so comforting to be able to converse.  i hope to hear from you
Oh, I am so sorry to read this.  I have not dealt with renal failure, to this extent, but have friends that have gone through.  I have been through end of life issues and Cancer with my dogs over the years.

It sounds like you already realize you are probably going through all this because, like the rest of us, you just want to keep your beloved companion around forever.  Sounds like you have a giid Vet but what is he advising you as to any long term prognosis?

I can only give you "my" personal views.  Fir me, it comes down to a quality of life issue fir the animal.  Do they want to be taken back and forth to the Vet, put on IV's, feel sick and not be able to eat?  I would guess not.  There have been instances where I had to decide whether to continue treatments, knowing my dog was miserable, or doing Palliative care only.  Sad as it was, I chose to make their last days as comfortable as possible being at home, in their own bed, carrying them outside to lay in the grass and enjoy the sunshine and, when needed, making the hard decision to send them to The Bridge and I was able to hold them and comfort them during a peaceful passing.

We certainly are not here to judge you but sometimes our experiences can help to put things into perspective.

My heart goes out to you and your little dog.
hi margot- thanks for your kind reply - and yes it is what i am facing right now.  the vet did not give me a definite answer - he said she is sick - that her blood levels are not good however when we brought her in today to the vet she was alert and he said that she looked a little better.  he gave us some liquid food and she has been drinking water. he said that he will take another blood test on monday and see what that brings - apparantly renal failure is very hard to predict - the kidneys could come back to some extent- i wish that he could give me a "definite" answer - however, i dont think that he knows definitely either - so my thought is that she will survive - her heart is still beating strongly and she still walks around. she was never a very active dog so that part she is not missing - yes, i did tell the vet that she will not stay at the office again - i will take her in on monday and take it from there - yes, my heart is breaking and everytime i think of her i cry my eyes out.  i know so many have been through this, so it is such a comfort to communicate - thanks so much
You can only do what you can do.  Hope you have a good, restful weekend and get good news on MondY.