my 5 yo lab ate 50 rimadyl three days ago. he threw up immediately afterwards (he was at my parents house) but they never called the vet or did anything about it. when i got home from vacation 3 days later i took him to the vet and they put him on an iv. i am worried about kidney problems!! does anyone know if he threw them up if there is a chance his kidneys will be ok? anyone who has gone threw anything similar please respond!!!!
The sooner the dog threw up the rimadyl, the better his chances because it doesn't get into his system. Usually the vet would try to induce vomiting but your dog already did this on his own. Maybe you should ask your vet about possible kidney problems. If your dog is a large dog, that also helps.
Here's some info I found on Rimadyl toxicity. Since your dog threw up so quickly, I would say he'll probably be OK.
Rimadyl® toxicity generally occurs as the result of one of the following:
Accidental ingestion of excessive quantities of the drug
Administration of the incorrect dose of medication by the owner (overdose)
Idiosyncratic reaction – the pet is unusually susceptible to the side effects of the drug and the reaction is unrelated to dose. The correct dose is administered but the pet develops signs consistent with toxicity.
Idiosyncratic reactions usually cause damage to the liver specifically but can also affect the kidneys and gastrointestinal tract. These reactions may occur after days to months of Rimadyl® administration.
What to Watch For
Gastrointestinal symptoms include nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, melena (black, tarry stools), abdominal pain and ulceration of the stomach.
Damage to the kidneys may cause signs of acute kidney failure such as increased thirst, increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy and dilute urine (lighter in color).
Symptoms associated with damage to the liver include jaundiced skin, gums, inside of ears, and sclera (whites of the eyes) as well as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and lethargy.
A history of Rimadyl® administration or accidental ingestion of an inappropriately high dose of Rimadyl® is helpful to your veterinarian in determining the cause of your pet's illness. In addition to obtaining a complete history and performing a thorough physical examination, your veterinarian will likely perform the following tests:
A complete blood count (CBC) is a blood test performed to check the pet's white blood cell count and red blood cell count. The white blood cell count may be slightly elevated with Rimadyl® toxicity. The red blood cell count may be decreased due to blood loss associated with a bleeding ulcer in the gastrointestinal tract.
A biochemistry profile is a blood test that is performed to measure the liver enzyme levels, which are elevated if the liver is damaged. Additionally, this test measures kidney values such as the creatinine and blood urea nitrogen (BUN), which are elevated if acute kidney failure is present. Your veterinarian will likely repeat this test during the pet's treatment to ensure that the values are decreasing, indicating recovery from the toxicity.
A urinalysis is done to assess the kidney's ability to concentrate urine. Animals with acute kidney failure typically exhibit dilute urine due to the inability of the kidneys to concentrate the urine. The urine is also evaluated for the presence of casts, which, if present, indicate that a region of the kidneys called the tubules has been damaged. Tubule damage is consistent with Rimadyl® toxicity.
A urine culture and sensitivity to rule out a bacterial infection in the urine.
An abdominal ultrasound is performed to evaluate the kidneys and the liver. An ultrasound-guided biopsy of the liver or kidneys may be necessary to determine the extent of damage to these organs or to confirm that Rimadyl® is the cause of the damage.
Hospitalization is necessary to provide definitive treatment and may require two to five days. Other treatments may include:
Induction of vomiting followed by gastric lavage (pumping the stomach) to remove undigested pills if the pet is known to have accidentally ingested an excessive quantity of pills within the preceding four hours. These steps are not indicated in cases of Rimadyl® toxicity due to chronic Rimadyl® administration or in the case of idiosyncratic reactions.
Administration of activated charcoal to prevent absorption of Rimadyl® from the stomach. Charcoal is not administered in cases of Rimadyl® toxicity due to chronic Rimadyl® administration or in the case of idiosyncratic reactions.
Placement of an intravenous catheter for administration of intravenous fluids and other medications. Intravenous fluids are administered at high rates (diuresis) to rehydrate pets that are dehydrated from vomiting and diarrhea and to treat or prevent kidney failure.
Administration of antacid medication such as sucralfate (Carafate®), famotidine (Pepcid AC®), or cimetidine (Tagamet®) to prevent or treat ulceration of the stomach.
Administration of anti-emetic (anti-vomiting) medication such as metoclopramide (Reglan®) or chlorpromazine (Thorazine®).
Home Care and Prevention
If accidental ingestion has occurred, remove any remaining pills from the pet's environment. Take your pet to a veterinarian as soon as possible for treatment of an overdosage of Rimadyl®.
If you have been administering Rimadyl® and you note vomiting, melena, pale or yellow gums or loss of appetite, stop administration of Rimadyl® and take your pet to a veterinarian as soon as possible.
To prevent toxicity, never exceed the dose of Rimadyl® prescribed by your veterinarian. Administer Rimadyl® with food to help prevent stomach upset.
he's ok!! just got the news from the vet who said he must have thrown them up in time. kidney and liver levels are ok.
i learned my lesson-- I'll never leave him with my parents again!!
thanks for the posts.
Our GSD ate 100 Rimadyl when she was 5. as far as I know she is the only dog to survive such a high dose, the vet managed to evacuate her gut quickly and most of the tablets were undigested. She is now 8. However I think she is now shoeing signs of kidney failure. taking her to the vet tomorrow for blood tests just incase. Hopefully its just a urine infection. Keep an eye on your dog in the coming years particularly drinking lots and peeing lots. If he starts that then I would have is bloods done just incase xxx
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.