scab around mouth
I have a female terrier mix about 5 years old. she is about 20 pounds. i have noticed, probably about 4 months ago, that she has black scabs on both sides of her bottom jaw and under her mouth at the front. when the scabs come off her skin/flesh is pink and moist but there doesn't seem to be any bleeding. she doesnt seemed bothered by it unless of course if someone touches her there. her diet consists mostly of dry dogfood and she eats out of both a plastic and a metal bowl. ive read it might be an allergy to plastic, could this be the case?
It's possible that your dog has plastic dish dermatitis.  This is more common than you might think.  If you use a stainless steel bowl to feed your dog, it can easily be cleaned so that no bacteria hangs around from meal to meal.  Plastic, however, becomes scratched over time, and the scratches harbor lots of bacteria from food that gets trapped in there. Even though her food is basically dry food, it is still pretty abrasive, not to mention her teeth occasionally scraping the dish cause scratches that can become a home for bacteria. This bacteria can cause a dermatitis around the mouth and nose area.

I would try switching to a stainless steel bowl.  Many dollar stores carry them so you don't have to spend a lot of money to make the switch.  If you have a Dollar General near you, that's where I get my stainless steel dog bowls from.  If the plastic dish is the cause, you should see an improvement fairly quickly.  If things don't improve or if they worsen, naturally you should contact your veterinarian and get your dog in there ASAP to be examined.

Ghilly