shih tzu breathing problems
My dog seems tbe having some sort of seizure that afftects his breathing when he gets very excited.  He starts sounding as if he is trying to clear his throat of something.  I don't really know how to describe it but will be taking him to the vet again to ask I asked before and they said it was ok.  I will try to get it on tape for the vet but if no one is around to tape it before I go I will take care of him as he seems to be very scared when it happens and wants me to help him. I remove his collar and rub his throat gently as this seems to be what he wants me to do for him since he will put his throat on my hand. Any help would be great.  I thank you and my baby boy Bear thanks you for trying. Penny
Hi Penny,  How old is Bear? There are a number of things that can cause a breathing problem as you describe. I don't believe that it's any kind of seizure, though. However, to be on the safe side, this may be a symptom of a Heart problem. Very common in older, toy breeds. Don't panic.....It's very easy to control with medication. On the other hand, it may not be his heart at all. Just wanted you to be aware of this so that you could ask his Vet. Other things are a "Reverse Sneeze" or a "Collapsing Trachea". Rubbing his throat is suppose to help with a Trachea problem. There are also meds. for this condition. I have no experience with them, but know a world of information about a Heart condition.  Hope all this helps give you some ideas. Take care and hope he gets better, soon.  Karla