sudden blindness due to optic nerve inflammation from Cushings disease or Diabetes
My Stanley who is a Schnauzer was diagnosised with Cushings Disease a few months ago and now he has developed Diabetes.  He suddenly became blind over night and I understand dogs can become blind from inflammation of their optic nerve or cataracts.  Has anyone experienced sudden blindness in a dog with one or both of these diseases and what was it due from (inflammation of the Optic Nerve).  My heart breaks for my little guy who appears so frightened by this experience.  Thanks, Deb
Hello & welcome......My sister's dog went blind verchually overnight w/Diabete's....I do not know if it's Optic Nerve Inflammation, I'm sorry....I have no experience w Cushings, but there are others on the forum that do...I'm hoping they will see this and respond....

My sister ties a little jingle bell to her belt loop so Tigger knows where she's at at all times....

I'm also, sorry you & Stanley are having to deal w/this....However, Dogs usually adjust very well to blindness...Of course, you don't want to move the furniture and such very often...They can learn a path inside and out quite well...It seems it's harder on the Pet parent as opposed to the pet....

You might try something like "Rescue Remedy" for him, to ease his stress....It's an all natural treatment and DOES work.....Take care and come back when & if you need....Karla
Karla, I really appreciate your kind words.  I can see he is learning to manage his surroundings. I hoping there is someone who has had a dog with optic nerve inflamation and what they experienced with their dog.  I guess I'm just hoping to get his sight back although I know its not likely.  Take care, Deb