Dogs Community
swelling after bite

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

swelling after bite

he is Cocker Spaniel, 18 months old. Bitten by another dog lower neck, just above the chest bone, slightly left (dogs left).
Immediatly to the vet - small deep puncture hole about 1/2 inch wide caused she said by the a canine tooth. No stitches
Profuse bleeding at first. Moderate bleeding went on for 3 days, then wound healed. Two days ago a large lump appered under the wound, growing in size all the time, though not at a fast rate, is now about size of goose egg and area is growing in size. Went back to vet "leave it alone" come back if it really is large.
I am concerned, I'm off again to vet tonight. He doesnt seem to be in pain, and he is eating ok.
Is the swelling normal after the trauma of a bite ??

thanks
Yes, there can be swelling after a bite.  IMHO, taking him to the vet about the swelling was a good thing.

You have done everything you can for your dog and I'm sure he knows it.  He is a young dog but being bitten must have been traumatic for him and you.

Was he attacked by another dog or were they playing?  Either way, the history of the biter is something you might want to find out about.  Not for revenge purposes but to rule out anything contagious or to see if the other dog has attacked other dogs.  Our Akita was attacked by a rottie last year and we did  everything you are doing for your dog.  She needed our love and attention just as much as she needed veterinary care.

I have no doubt that your dog knows you care about him and are doing everything to help him heal.  Please let us know how you and your spaniel are doing.

lonewolf

Hi Toad,

How is your pet doing now? is sweling is OK now?

if yes can you please suggest something to me - I have same incident with my Dog and very worries since swelling is increasing in his legs.

Best Regards,
Nitesh
Hi love your Cocker he really is a lovely boy......It sounds like a hematoma ! that means it has healed over but still bleeding,you must not touch it, as time goes on the blood should be reabsorbed back into the body.The swelling will go down then.

If it bursts you could get an infection in the open would.The Vet should have explained all this to you.The main thing is he is ok and its not worrying him.The vet might give him an injection of vitamin K as that clots the blood and assists with stopping the bleeding.

Please get back to us and let us know how he is going.