swelling testicles of my dog
i have 10 months old shih tzu.His testicles have swelled up over the last day or so and are huge.... I have no idea what could have caused this.Im sure  his testicles are very painful coz he can walk but hard to.my vet prescribed FINASTERIDE 5mg once a day and amoxiclav antibiotic..but i'll wait for 1 week if there's a changes..Has anyone encountered this problem before?is it dangerous?pls help..thanks in advance!
Hi:) This is called Epididymitis/Orchitis. Epididymitis is inflammation of the testicular tube where sperm is stored, and orchitis is inflammation of the testes themselves which is what your dog is experiencing. It's concerning to me because normally this happens in older dogs. It's usually caused by trauma to the scrotum, infectious organisms, inflammation of the prostate and inflammation of the bladder. It is fairly common. You say your vet prescribed Finasteride. Other than that, did he/she do any other tests?  Antibody testing should determine if an infectious organism is the cause of the problem. Also an Ultrasound of the prostate, testes, and epididymis should be performed to rule out other causes. Worst case scenario, he may need to be castrated. That would be the fastest and easiest way to ease him of the pain. I would definitely get a second opinion or go back to your vet and ask for these tests....Good luck!