thanks for all your stories about phenobarbitol side effects in dogs
thanks for sharing your pheno side effect stories...our Dog has been on pheno for 2 and 1/2 weeks...she is 11, a lab mix....I had begun to think the side effects might be because of a posssible tumor, which the vet suggested may be the cause of the seizures...(note, she had ACL surgery 2months ago..did anesthesia have a hand in this) ....the pheno has stopped the seizures, but she is a mess, weak hind legs, disoriented, lethargic, forgets where she is going...breathes heavily, sits up for long periods of time...instead of resting in a laying position...I plan to contact vet (new to us for 1 year, since we just moved)..I want to change her to Keppra or other...our old vet of 17 years suggested this as a possibility..she does not use phenobarbitol.   We have changed her diet to meat and veggies...our decision...leaving out wheat, grains...this should be better for her according to some holistic research I did.  I sure hated seeing her have the seizures...but will explore new drug asap.  Hang in there .
Good Afternoon!
Lovely weather today in Arizona.  Although I have not read the other posts regarding the phenobarbital I have had a very brief experience with my 23-lb. JRT.

Almost instantly he seems disoriented and sluggish.  He would sit at stare at nothing.  He was prescribed this for seizure activity (rescue, deaf w/seizures).

Next was zonisamine.  Caused paranoia, aggressive behavior.

Presently he is given 150mgs of Gabapentin, twice daily.  Works like a charm!!  Perhaps a bit sleepy for an hour or so but less filtration to the kidneys & no side affects (he weights 23-lbs)

My experience, shared with you in hopes of the more information you have better choices can be made/tried.

Kindest Regards,

Elliot777