Dogs Community
thyroid cancer english bulldog

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

thyroid cancer english bulldog

can anyone who has ever dealt with thyroid cancer help me out on any info you have im scared and don't want to loose my baby!
Don't know details of canine thyroid cancer - just dealt with A LOT of it in myself and my family.  There are four types of thyroid cancer in humans - each with its own level of aggressiveness.  Do you know what type of thyroid cancer your dog has and how aggressive it may be?

The protocol in humans is to remove the thyroid and start on thyroid replacement hormones (which are used quite often in dogs - I even had one who was on them).  If the cancer has spread in humans there is a radioactive iodine treatment that's given but I have no idea if that is an option in dogs.

Here's info about *human* thyroids and thyroid cancers - it may give you a base to discuss things with your vet.  http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroid.html

You may also want to post to the Ask A Vet forum and discuss with Dr. Cheng.

good luck and give your baby a hug from the other doggy parents out here!

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03 (and three sisters with it)
mom to three dachshunds
I'm so sorry about your dog.  I know your scared. I just found out my dog has cancer also.  I didn't tell anyone for two weeks because I couldn't talk about it without crying and didn't want anyone to bring up the subject out in public.  Then I thought,"What am I doing?  I need to tell everyone I can so they can be praying for him and maybe someone would have some helpful advice."  I suggest surfing the web.  I'm sure you probably have been though.  Also, I know it's hard to do, but get a second opinion, even a third.  That's what I did.  I felt disloyal to my vet, but I have to do whatever I can for my beloved BEAR, and I can't worry about the vets feelings.  I feel he should of recognized the signs months ago, actually years ago.  Bear has had allergies for about 3 years and some lameness and limping also.  He told me it was arthritis.  Well now I know that all the allergy symptoms were signs of a weak immune system caused by feeding him dog food with grain it it.  Dogs are allergic to grains, they can't process them.  They are meat eaters.  This weakens their immune systems and causes all sorts of health problems.  All dogs, have cancer cells, that are faught off by the immune system, but if the immune system isn't working properly the cancer cells multiply and they end up with cancer.  I suggest you start fighting your dog's cancer by concentrating on the underlying issue - the immune system.  I now have Bear on a raw meat diet with fruits and vegetables and suppliment with EVO dry dog food.  EVO dog food is made with no grains, no by products, and no preservatives like BHA and BHT, which cause cancer.  I don't know  what your plans are as for as treating the cancer with surgery or chemo, but check out the K9 immunity product ( just google it).  It can be given with chemo to build the immune system since chemo detroys the immune system along with the cancer.  I'm not giving Bear any chemo at this time, but I gave him the k9 immunity.  I am also giving Bear ESSIAC and blood root.  which has been successful in fighting cancer.  You can find this at plantcures.com, it's the real stuff.  Click on all products clinically proven and then on cancer. I am also giving him cats claw, fenugreek, atragalus, and some other chinese herbs from the homeopathic vet I am taking him to now.  I just can't stress to you enough how important it is to build up his immune system. Good luck - I know exactly what you are going through.  I can't imagine life without my Bearsy.  I am home by myself all day and only have a few neighbors, who are gone during the day, and I feel so safe with Bear here ( he is a big dog ).  We have bears where we live so I don't work in my garden without Bear by my side.  I can't tell you how many times he has chased a bear out of our yard.  I don't know what I'd do without him here. I am doing everything I can afford.  I wish I could do more.  I'm not giving up though.  Keep us posted. I'll be praying for your dog.