Dogs Community
unexplainable painful lumps on my dog. vet Lab stumped

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

have a one year old Yorkie male who has been suffering with a rare condition don't know what it is hes had bacteria test fungal test and cancer test all negative he gets these lumps under his skin that are really squishy from the size of a peanut to walnut some are firmmer than others but mainly squishy and when they pop pus and blood stain fluid comes out in he gets them all over his sides back face. Around his anus.and he becomes totally llethargic they come and go on the random like I said they were tested and negative for bacterial and fungal not cancerous I have pictures and sometimes he's fine but when he gets them he can barely move he's been quarantined inside my room strictly and has been on special diet hypoallergenic and special water and prednisone nothing is working..dont know what else to do. the vet said she's never seen anything like this and neither did the lab tester
I'm welcome to any advice or thoughts I'm getting desperate he's not having a good quality of life and don't know what else to do besides put him on the fungal medicine but that can make him very sick .plus the fungal test was negative. we are running out of answers options and tests to do
I have seen this before...It was not any of my own dogs, but I was at a Vets office and overheard it.....As I recall, it was a fungal infection started by thorns from either a rose bush or blackberry bush....That's what the Vet said.....

I do not know what the treatment was, I'm sorry....

What does your Yorkie eat, including treats????
Do you have a Veterinary Teaching Hospital anywhere around you?? If will be on a university campus!!!

I wouldn't stick with one Vet on this....Find another for a second opinion....Make sure you have ALL copies of the previous test results, so you do not have to pay for more of the same tests at a different clinic....

Please, com back & let us know...Hopefully, others will chime in....
I cannot think what this could be but Misfits4Me recommends getting a second opinion and I think that's a good idea.
Yeah i a second vet is a good idea. My dog bentley is eating a salmon and potato diet by blue wilderness. And bottle water.and treats im really minimalizing what he eats but if he does geta. Treat its. Peanut butter and appple treat
We were sure it was fungal but the test was negative perhaps a fungal they didnt test for? And what is a vet teaching hospital?....and we do have lots of rose bushes and blackberries around our yard. But he has ben confined to my room for months now
so sorry your little dog is going through this.  Your profile doesn't show where you are from but, if you have a Vet school/university near you, it might be a good idea to make an appointment with their Dermatology Dept.
Has your dog been tested for Lupus?  Has his thyroid been checked? Yorkers can have hypothyroid which can cause many symptoms.
Any fleas?
I would give him oatmeal baths.  Preferably use only cotton bedding, wash that and use an extra Vinegar rinse, no fabric softener.
a fish based food, no grains.  There are foods out made for sensitive skin.  You can ask your Vet if they recommend one.  I would not feed anything else.
Take a good look at your room to see what he comes in contact with.  What cleaning products do you use?
Sorry, skin issues are so hard to deal with. First reading your post, I thought bacterial or fungal also.
I would have the Thyroid tested and ask about possible Lupus and don't hesitate to get a second opinion.  If you do so, get all your records from the treating Vet.
Please come back to update.
There might be some guidance or some clues on this site:

Fluid filled bumps and lumps on the skin of dogs:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=426