Dogs Community
vaginal bleeding in 13 yr old spayed GSD

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I just noticed that my GSD was bleeding from her vagina. She was spayed as a young dog, but I noticed that the male was mounting her earlier.
Is bleeding normal for a dog in heat? Is there some other symptom
FYI - in June of last year, I had to take her to the vet due to an infection in her mammary glands. It healed with hydrotherapy and meds. The tests showed non malignancy.
Please help as I love this dog.

If she was spayed when she was younger, then she shouldn't be bleeding. The urinary canal/vagina are together in a female dog, so any blood coming out is most likely from her bladder. It would be best to take her to the vet immediately. She could need an ultrasound for possible bladder stones, or there might be another problem there.
However....if the male dog has been mounting her, it is possible he could have caused some abrasion/inflammation of her vaginal area, if he kept going long enough. It would be best to have her checked out to be sure.

Bleeding always happens during "heat". With some dogs it is more, with others, less, but it always occurs.
(I assume you know for certain that she was spayed? Was she spayed while she was your dog? Or were you told she was, by the people you got her from? Has this bleeding ever happened before? If by any chance she might not have been spayed (even though you believed she had been) then this could be a "heat" cycle. And if a dog has been mounting her, she could get pregnant of course!)

But my instinct is that you know what you're talking about, and that she was spayed, and this bleeding signifies something wrong in her bladder, which needs urgent attention.
My dog is a 12 year old female that was spayed young.  This year for the first time there is slight bleeding from the vagina area - a couple of drops a day.  Do you think it is urinary?  The only facility here in Jordan that i know of his the humane society - a vet there told me to bring the dog in. She is a mixed breed - mostly papillon.
My dog is a 12 year old female that was spayed young.  This year for the first time there is slight bleeding from the vagina area - a couple of drops a day.  Do you think it is urinary?  The only facility here in Jordan that i know of his the humane society - a vet there told me to bring the dog in.
It could well be a bladder problem, -could be an infection (easily treated with antibiotics) or might be stones or a small tumor doing this. Tumors of the bladder are not always cancer. I would take her in to be checked out, as the vet advised.
It IS possible there is a stump pyometra....but usually that would present with more symptoms. Get her to the vet, and if antibiotics don't clear up the problem, then further tests may have to be run.