Dogs Community
warm, dry nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

warm, dry nose

My dog has had a warm, dry nose for quite a while. I have heard that this means your dog is sick. I am wondering if that is true? My dog does have allergies. Thanks, Leslie
  • Head injury? (1 replies):
    I agreed to adopt a little yorkie that had been abused. ...[more]
Not true.  Some people use a warm dry nose as an indicator of fever, but if the dog is OK otherwise there's nothing to worry about.  My vet likes to use the ear where it connects to the head as an indicator of fever, and I've found that to be pretty reliable.  If your dog hasn't seen a vet in quite a while, it wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a checkup.  Hope he's doing OK with the allergies too - any dog allergy can be a real pain to deal with for both the dog and the owner.  :-)
Where the ear connects to the head will be warm (or hot) indicating a fever? Thanks for the tip. My dog (Harley) has allergies, like I mentioned, and they are aggravating to me and her! She chews at herself. The vet had to give her a cortizone shot a couple of months ago. Her allergies seem to be seasonal. She doesn't seem to be bothered too much right now. I give her benadryl when she starts chewing at herself. Thanks, again!!!!
she may be dehydrated, make sure she drinks plently of water. try giving her ice cubes or you can put them in her water dish so her water will be nice and cold!