Dogs Community
whats wrong with my dog?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

whats wrong with my dog?

a couple months ago i noticed my dog limping on his right foot. over the past couple months his hind legs have become stiff, hard for him to lay down and sit. he is a year and 8 months mastiff/lab/rotty mix. he has become skinny in his lower area(legs, hips, stomach). he used to very active and now he lays all the time. he can still walk and gets up to go outside and gets up to eat. but i can tell its bothering him. i have had a couple friends tell me that it looks like he has hip dysplasia, but i cant afford to take him to the vet to get him checked out. i have looked up hip dysplasia online and it says it genetic but his father is in great shape, as far as i know his mother was also in great shape. his brother as well has no problems. he has taken after our female dog in size, slender but muscular, but has a big head. you can tell he should be alot bigger like his dad and brother, they both weigh about 150 pounds, but his biggest weight was about 60 pounds. and since his leg started bothering him he has lost alot of weight. could this problem that hes having be because hes supposed to be bigger like his brother and dad? his bodies not growing the way it wants, so hes having problems? if it is hip dysplasia, what will happen if he doesnt get treated?
It sounds a lot like hip displasia. In dogs, the problem almost always appears by the time the dog is 18 months old( 1 yr, 6 months) The defect can be anywhere from mild to severely crippling, and can eventually cause severe osteoarthritis. It is most common in  German Shepherd Dogs, Labrador or Golden Retrievers, Rottweilers and Mastiffs. It is known to be hereditary but can appear on it's own as well.There is no complete cure, although there are many options to alleviate the clinical signs. The aim of treatment is to enhance quality of life. Crucially, this is a congenital condition and so will change during the life of an animal, so any treatment is subject to regular review or re-assessment if the symptoms appear to get worse or anything significantly changes.

If the problem is relatively mild, then sometimes all that is needed to bring the symptoms under control are suitable medications to help the body deal better with inflammation, pain and joint wear. In many cases this is all that is needed for a long time.

If the problem cannot be controlled with medications, then often surgery is considered. There are traditionally two types of surgery - those which reshape the joint to reduce pain or help movement, and hip replacement for animals which completely replaces the damaged hip with an artificial joint, similar to human hip replacements.
Your dog seems to fit the criteria to be at risk for hip displasia. You can take him to a vet. That's all you really can do to help him.

If you can't afford to take him to a vet, maybe you should consider finding him a new home where he can be properly taken care of. Sounds like he is suffering to me and  needs medical attention, he is not even 2 years old, how long do you think he can go on like he currently is? He is not going to magicly get better, please for the sake of the poor suffering dog. TAKE HIM TO SEE A VET!!!
Have to agree with reddog.  He must be in pain and you definitely don't want him to be suffering.  Unfortunately, pet ownership can come with Vet bills and maybe it was not the best of times for you to have a pet.  Hey, I've got a sick Greyhound here that I just put out almost $500 on and we still need more testing done.  I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you have a Vet in your area that would let you make payments?  Please try to work out something to get the dog checked.