wheezing, allergies or asthma?
My doxie wheezes in and out like he's having a massive asthma attack.....it sounds so bad, he makes me nervous everytime he does it .....he also rubs his head and chest into the grass every time we go outside. I'm going to ask the vet, but was wondering what you think, or if your dog does the same thing?
When he does this how long does it last?My pekingese has allergies and sometimes makes really odd noises.He also rubs his head on the carpet to scratch his face.I give him Benadryl for his allergies.Smaller breeds are more common than bigger breeds to make these noises.I use to really get worried about it and it still worries me a little,But i know now what he is doing.Sometimes when he is making that noise if i rub him and talk to him he will calm down or stop.
I'm not sure how long because I always ask him if he's okay and pet him and then he stops like you said, he does it atleast four or five times..if not, more. I still have to call the vet about that....I hope its just allergies..they have Benadryl for dogs?
You can use regular Benadryl.I always use childrens liquid i give half a teaspoon to my Peke.How much does your baby weigh.If you called you vet they would be able to tell you the amount to give,Cause they would have your babies weight in his chart.Just ask them about it on the phone it might keep you from having to go in.My little boy Peke has done it for years,Whenever he does it i just try to calm him ,but other rubbing him and the Benadryl that is all i know to do.Is the pollen really high where you live?Well i will talk to you soon.Please keep me posted.Take care.
First, you need a firm diagnosis that it is allergies causing the reaction.  I'm wondering if what you're seeing is a "reverse sneeze" rather than sneezing and wheezing?  If the emphasis of air movement is more inward than outward, that's a "reverse sneeze" and it can be very frightening to witness but is basically harmless.  Think of it as kind of a hiccup.  If you rub the dog's throat and get him moving again, it will usually stop in a few seconds.

Another thing to consider is congestive heart failure or any other condition that might lead to fluid retention and restrict breathing.  If your dog exhibits symptoms intermittently, do you have a digital camera capable of taking short videos?  That will help your vet determine a proper diagnosis.  There's no point in self-medicating until the underlying problem is diagnosed.