53 year Old Cousin with DS Needs Help
I have a 53 year old cousin that has never been "officially" diagonsed.  Her parents never faced the problem and she has floundered throughout her life. She needs help financially perhaps with social security disabiity and I'm not sure how to help her.  I told her to go to a doctor and have them do testing, is this something that can be done at 53?
Hello!
People with Down’s syndrome have characteristic physical and mental symptoms. Blood test can be done to check for the extra chromosome and confirm the diagnosis.Karyotyping looks very closely at all of the chromosomes that a person has. It gives information about the structure of each individual chromosome and the number of chromosomes a person has. It also helps to detect structural differences such as translocations, deletions, ring chromosomes and others. I will advise you that your cousin should see the opinion of a doctor specialized in treating people with Down’s syndrome preferably in a medical centre. After complete examination and Karyotyping once the diagnosis of Down’s syndrome is confirmed the doctor may be able to give a certificate stating that your cousin suffers from Down’s syndrome with associated physical and mental disabilities. I sincerely hope it helps.
Take care and best luck!
Thank you for your comments.   Can you recommend a physician in Ohio?