Down Syndrome Community
53 year Old Cousin with DS Needs Help
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

53 year Old Cousin with DS Needs Help

I have a 53 year old cousin that has never been "officially" diagonsed.  Her parents never faced the problem and she has floundered throughout her life. She needs help financially perhaps with social security disabiity and I'm not sure how to help her.  I told her to go to a doctor and have them do testing, is this something that can be done at 53?
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello!
People with Down’s syndrome have characteristic physical and mental symptoms. Blood test can be done to check for the extra chromosome and confirm the diagnosis.Karyotyping looks very closely at all of the chromosomes that a person has. It gives information about the structure of each individual chromosome and the number of chromosomes a person has. It also helps to detect structural differences such as translocations, deletions, ring chromosomes and others. I will advise you that your cousin should see the opinion of a doctor specialized in treating people with Down’s syndrome preferably in a medical centre. After complete examination and Karyotyping once the diagnosis of Down’s syndrome is confirmed the doctor may be able to give a certificate stating that your cousin suffers from Down’s syndrome with associated physical and mental disabilities. I sincerely hope it helps.
Take care and best luck!
Blank
Thank you for your comments.   Can you recommend a physician in Ohio?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Down Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank