Down Syndrome Community
Aggressive behaviour of Down Syndrome child

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

My 17 year old down syndrome nephew, cannot talk but very expressive and can understand if told anything.

Of late he has become very agressive, hitting his mother, pulling her down by her hair, scratching her when he gets into his agressive mood.

He was going to a mentally challenged school,due to over age has been at home.   He is left with their neighbour when his mother goes to work.  

What could be the reason of this change in behavour or becoming aggressive.  He behaves like this only to his mother.  we are a bit worried about this situation

help please
Not to accuse, but honestly I think you need to look into what kind of care the neighbor is giving this child.

Children will act out with changes, perhaps this comes down to being moved from his school. But it isn't unlikely for this kind of anger and aggression to be related to his new care. For example my friend's daughter would come back from a weekend at her dad's and start hitting and yelling. Her dad's gf at the time would spank her and slap her hand at the smallest of things; she saw it, so she did it. Also, god forbid, I know of children who act out aggressively due to molestation.

Changes in behavior are definitely something to be noticed and something needs to be done. Does he have any form of communication at all? Has your sister/brother attempted to take him to a behavioral psychologist before? I think that might be a good place to start.

However, there are some health causes for aggression. I would also suggest having him get a physical. I know food intolerance can lead to mood swings, but those are usually there earlier that 17. Perhaps though, a test for diabetes?  I would also suggest having his Thyroid tested. Make sure they test for Free t3 and t4 as well as the standard TSH, as they tend to be more reliable at telling what the thyroid is doing.
My son is 8 years old and has been aggressive since he was 3years old. He pulls hair out of people's head( Esp. My 6 yr. Old daughter) he knocks furniture and lamps, pictures and other things over. He has been on 8 different meds.he is currently on Kapvay 0.2 mgs and Resperdal 3 mgs. We are weaning him off Kapvay for 15,days and next the Resperdal. We are going to try no meds at all. He is getting ready to receive ABA therapy and is on the waiting list for DNP services. His behavior is so bad, I have taken him out of school. He has been diagnosed with dual-disorder, down syndrome and autism. Some children,because the lack of communication skills and the inability to express emotions and feelings, act out. We are now showing him to express his emotions and feelings by asking him what's wrong. Are you angry,mad frustrated, what? We are using an iPad. Talking him through the frustration. We have seen sow slight changes. no hair pulling for a week now. It has been a long and difficult road. We have tried medication since he was 3 and with no success,we are going to try therapy with no meds. Has anyone experienced anything like our situation?
Your experiences are honestly what most parents of children with autism experience. My nephew has high spectrum, aspergers, and even though he's had a lot of special intervention to make sure he knows how to deal with this, he and his parents have their moments. where his parents need to step back and say "Ok buddy what's going on? How do you feel? What do you want to do about it?"

I suggest you peak over a the the Autism community. http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Autism/show/85 They can help give you pointers, things to try, or at least comfort that you're not alone.

Good luck.
I have a 25 year old son with Down Syndrome.  He has had some aggression since a small child.  It got worse right at the same age you are describing, 16 or 17.  I would suggest a physical exam and dental exam first, as it could be he is having pain or discomfort which he cannot express.  My son had really bad acid reflux, and sleep apnea which are common in DS.  After that, I would get him involved and busy in a day program for adults with special needs.  Also sports, Special Olympics, Challenger Baseball or something for physical activity.  All of these things help, and my son is also on a small dose of anti anxiety medication which has helped.  Yes, look into the day care situation, either something is going on there or maybe they are just not keeping him busy enough.  He needs socialization and friends just like everybody else.

Psychiatric problems are also common in young adults with DS ie OCD, depression.  Even though he cannot converse with a psychiatrist, there are those who specialize in special needs people.

Best wishes.
  My 17 year old son with DS developed a seizure disorder at 15 and his behavior deteriorated at the same time, He  gradually became aggressive to the point where I couldn't be alone with him.He was on keprra then switched meds to due mood changes, then a few months later his behavior got worse.One night  we had to take him to the ER  because of his behavior and from there I had to fight to get him into a treatment center and they found a medication regimen there which has stabilized him some.  He is in school and loves it and the teacher was surprised that he was having this problem.  It all seemed to start with the seizures-I think it somehow changed his brain structure and maybe he is just frustrated at how it makes him feel.  He is non-verbal and autistic as well.  I knew he was autistic for years, but finally got a formal diagnosis.  I would not be able to leave my son alone with anybody but a trained professional, a teacher or someone who is certified in special needs. And unless the neighbor has experience in this area it's probably not wise to leave her son with the neighbor, he needs intervention and help right now to see exactly what's going on.
I have a 11 year old daughter with down syndrome, that always has been aggressive and attention seeking most of all she is the sweetest thing ever I love her to death, don't know how to help her. She also is extremely helpful all the time, but as soon she gets around other children its horror. She hurts mostly little ones , pulling them down, pushes ppl of chairs, push also bigger kids, but does very well by herself and is the sweetest girl ever, I love her so much, don't know what to do anymore...Help