Any suggestions for behavioral problems for an Adult with Down's Syndrome?
About 9 months ago my 57yr old brother-in-law moved in with us because his elderly father was unable to care for him properly.  A new world has opened up for him and he is doing and experiencing many things that you and I take for granted.  He has been great!  He is happy and well behaved....until he gets to Adult Day Care.  He has been going there for 3 years, and over the last few weeks his behavior has been increasingly worse.  He doesn't want to get off the van until one of the girls comes to take him in.  (He loves going there, but likes the new van driver too) He gets up and "sexy dances" in front of the TV, he masturbates in the Men's room doorway, refuses to participate in morning exercise,  One day he will be fine, and the next is a disaster. I believe many of these episodes are meant to draw attention.  We have tried talking to him, rewards for good behavior and taking things away that he enjoys when he misbehaves.    I am at my witt's end, and if I can't get this resolved soon he may not be able to continue at the Adult Day Care, and we would have to put him in a group home because my husband and I both work full time.  This would break my heart. If there is anyone out there who can give me suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Hi, I don't think it makes a difference that your brother in law is 57 and displaying this behaviour, my daughter is exactly the same and she is nearly 4. She loves the new experiences that we open up for her, she is a quick learner and is thriving, but when it comes to the same old boring routine, her behaviour regresses. I think you've hit the nail on the head when you said a new world has opened up to him. Maybe he sees the day care centre as part of the old life he doesn;t want to go back to? I don't no if he will come to realise that won't happen but, maybe you do need an alternative for him. Maybe he isn't getting the stimulation that he needs at the day centre now, is there another one nearby? Or could you find a carer on a 1 to 1 basis, who could take him out on trips while you're at work? I know it's not easy and my daughter is still so young! Good luck,I hope you find a solution and I wish you and your brother in law a happy future.