Down Syndrome Community
Blood screening came back 1/48 what do u think??

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Hi im Shay, im new here. I am 20 weeks pregnant, my afp blood screening came back with odds of 1 in 48 for down syndrome. Is that bad? Or are those numbers normal? Did anyone here have those numbers?
Hi!
A positive result on Down Syndrome's screen during first trimester means that there is a 1 in 100 to 1 in 300 chance that the fetus has an abnormality, so a 1 in 48 chance is definitely a strong positive result. However, positive result in first trimester only indicates a chance, further confirmation is done in second trimester. Take care!

HI Shay:

AFP blood screening is just an estimate of risk, and cannot tell you one way or the other if baby has Down syndrome.  It's not unusual for women to have odds like yours and still have normal and healthy babies, but blood testing alone is just giving you a risk percentage: the screening cannot tell you if you are that 1 in 48 women that could possibly have a baby with Down syndrome.

It's important to remember, though, 1 in 48 risk means that there is a greater than 97% chance that your baby does NOT have Down syndrome. Your doctor can recommend you to have a targeted level 2 ultrasound to look at baby's anatomy, which may be helpful in lowering the chances of baby having Down syndrome.  If you are still concerned, you can speak with your OB/Gyn about the option of amniocentesis, which can determine for sure if baby does or does not have a chromosomal abnormality.  Hope that helps, and best of luck. ~eureka
Hey Im Shaye too,
Im the same age and got that result too, my doctor said these often come back as a false positive, I hope this is.the case for us.