Down Syndrome Community
Bright bowel and no nasal bone

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Bright bowel and no nasal bone

Hello. I am 35 years old and my DH is 49. I have 6 normal healthy children.  I am 18 weeks pregnant. Had the ultrasound done to check the tissue at the neck and came back normal.  Just had ultrasound done at Perinatal (I have high BP) and the baby is measuring 5 days smaller than what my due date suggests.  They could see no nasal bone, and had bright bowel syndrome.  I had my 2 year old with me and the doctor refused to consult with me with a 2 year old there jabbering away. So I go back Wednesday. In the mean time I am freaked out. Please help?  I researched each symptom individually, but can't find anything that talks about both abnormalities occuring together. Thanks much.
Hi!
Well, you do have a cause for apprehension as nasal bone is absent in amore than 40% of fetus with Down Syndrome. The risk increases with age of the mother, and at 35 and with multiple pregnancy, the risk is lower than being a first time mother at 35 years. Again bright bowel syndrome or echogenic bowel syndrome can occur without a cause and women are known to give birth to healthy babies. However this condition is also present in bowel obstructions, infections and in chromosomal abnormalities as Down Syndrome. Again, all these findings only show an increased risk for the baby to be born with Down’s Syndrome. The percentage of risk will be calculated by your doctor considering several other factors. So, I am sorry, beyond this I cannot help you much. Lets keep fingers crossed and hope for the best! Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.