Child with Down syndrome and behavior issues
My 7 year old son has Down syndrome.  He is a joy to be with.  He does have impulsive behavior.  His behavior isn't always impulsive, but when he is, he is uncontrollable.  Has anyone had any success in diet or natural medicines to help with impulsive behavior?  An MD prescribed risperdal for him, but we don't feel comfortable giving an antipsychotic med to a 7 yr. old.
I have read similar stories almost mirror images of what I've been dealing with for my son. He is downs syndrome of course and turn 21 recently. About 3 1/2 yrs ago he started to change. He used to be very loveable, happy anf funny to be around. He was a little, not much, but a little chunky. He slept good, was good natured, but had his moments like any child does. Then about 3 1/2 yrs ago he started to withdraw. He started to lose interest in things he used to love. He started having tantrums but not real bad and you could calm him down. Over this time everything progressively worsened. Little by little. He withdrew more, stop wanting to watch videos, stop wanting to play, to go to school. He went up until May of 2010 until I had to take him out because of his fits, violent outburst and aggressive behavior. He went through phases of it intensifying. He got to where it was hard to get him to come and watch a video, to where he will not watch one. He does not even want to come out of his room. He would sit there all day on his bed if you allowed him and sometimes it's a struggle to get him out of there. He hangs his head, runs hius hands through his hair and that's when he's doing good. Then he goes through phases where he will every 20-30 seconds, bang his headboard or wall, and then sometimes he will scream out very loudly like a monster. He keeps you on edge all the time. Then there's brief periods where you'll hear him laugh or giggle and you can go in and just enjoy him, but at the flip of a switch, it can and does turn off. Then it's like a totally different person, like a mad man.
It's hard to get him to eat now. This started about a year ago. He got to where he would not eat or you had to almost force him to. Even then and now, most of the times you have to feed him. Now we even have to bring his food to the bedroom because he will NOT go to the kitchen table. If we go for a ride, and that's no easy feat, he lays his head in his lap pretty much the whole time and sometimes flies into a rage. Then he will go into that banging stage and hit the door every few seconds. Sometimes he does it and then looks at me like he doesn't know what happened. I have also seen him at times for no reason start to cry and sob, especially when a certain song comes on the radio. But this happens maybe once a month sometimes more, but on average once a month.
As mentioned by others here, I've seen him clinch his jaw, rub his hands, and then he has had phases where he's made noises like grunts and snorts, but they came and went. As some other things came and went, but ususally something new took it's place. He doesn't seem to sleep well now either. He seems tired most of the time except at night a couple hours before bed time. He was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea about a year and half ago and used a CPAP, but now over the last couple months I can not get him to wear it. Even if I get it on him, he takes it off,
I have had him checked by many Doctors and sorry not wanting to offend, but I don't have much love for Doctors. He's had numerous test run and has No physical problems, the only thing found was the he is extremely deficient in Vitamin B12 in whcih he gets shots for since late October 2010.
I have tried dieatary change whcih I still do. He eats very healthy organic foods whith lots of vegetables and a lot of pure water. I have also tried numerous supplements, vitamins and some herbal items. All of which have had no affect on his sleep cycle or his mood/behavoir. I used Raw virgin coconut oil also, 3 tsp a day and it actually seemed to make an improvement. Not a b ig one, but he actually had about a week where he at least did not have a major tantrum, but then it returned stronger than ever. I tell you, although he did not come out and be his old self, that week was the best we've had in a while. He actually went to a restaurant for his Birthday the end of January and did not throw a fit and ate. That was the forst and last time in a long while. we can not take him anywhere, because he will go off and become violent. He even went balistic at the Doctors recently. Had a major fit.
I love him dearly and am Not going the med route. Don't believe in it, never have and after watching the documentary "marketing of Madness" I think I have plenty to back up my feelings.
I could go on, but I will cut to the chase after a long story. There is plenty more though and as I said, this started out as a small problem and grew into the monster we're dealing with today. It's quite a strain on us all and it breaks my heart to see him like this.
Does anyone have any answers to this?? Because the Doctors sure don't except to make a zombie out of him. I have evn had him to a Downs Syndrome clinic and they don't have answers. With all this going on, which I was not aware of this and thought we were the only ones carrying this kind of load, I am really curious as to whether anyone has found something to regain their child back. I want my son to be alove again, not just exist. I would also like to have peace in my home again.
I seen someone write or mention  they have had success with a product called "Nurtivene D". Does anyone know anything aboiut this or used it and had success in this area?
Anyone that can provide anything that can help or that has the answer to this, I would be eternally grateful.
Please let me know. Thanks and God Bless
My brother is 23 and has always had behavioural issues from a young age, i.e biting, scratching, and poking. He was also diagnosed with having autist tendencies, i.e. twiddling paper, lash out when you get in his personal space, fixations on certain music of films which he would listen/watch continuously. Despite this he was always a very happy boy who was content with his own company and others.  He recently developed oral thrush and stopped eating and drinking. He was admitted into hospital and after a week was put onto a feeding tube as he was extremly weak and lost a stone in weight, he was in there for 2 long distressing months. This was an awful time and he went through many painful and distressing procedures.They tried different medications on him to try and overcome the psychological side of his food/drink refusal which resulted in further problems. Thank god he eventually started to eat and drink and was discharged from hosiptal. Since he has been back home he has been a different person. He is now subdued alot of time, talks to "invisible people" which mostly involves wimpering and asking for help (but can sometimes just be general words or phrases),sometimes he is so withdrawn whilst doing this he does not respond to anyone around him, he doesn't like spending any time alone anymore and has lost interest in things he used to love doing i.e. watching his films, and disappears off into his own head. He also now gets extremly tired and asks to go to bed at 8pm everynight. Whilst in hosiptal they discovered that he too was B12 which deficient which he now recieves shots every 2 monthes and i wonder whether this is playing a major part in the changed behaviour and almost certainly the tiredness, or just a combination of the traumatising experience he went through? After researching on the internet i found that lack of B12 can cause "mental fog" and changes in character.  We still see flashes of his old self where he is cheeky and funny but then disappears back off into his own world. I too would be interested to hear if anyone has tried Nurtivene D and if it had any noticable benefits.

Skic, some of the things you are discribing in your son,i.e the repetitive phrases (my brother does that too), and his withdrawn behaviour could maybe indicate a degree of autism? My brother used to be quite violent (the most dangerous was his tendency for poking/jabbing at peoples eyes) but we discovered that if we respect his personal space, i,e, warning him before we get close, or gently holding his hands down when going near him and most importantly warning others of the dangers if they try and get too close to him greatly reduced the number of incidents we had.

Any advice, questions or comments welcome.

I have went ahead and got some products from the Nutrivene D people. I will let you know how things go with him. The people at that company are very helpful so if you want to call them, you'd be surprised at how much they want to help. Fellow named Rob talked to me for close to 40 minutes, maybe more.
Never really had any issues other than very minor ones (normal to most children) out of Matthew until all this started up about 3 1/2 yrs ago. Even then it was subtle and increased in frequency and severity as time progressed. He does not want to be around anyone, and if you let him would sit on his bed all day. Sometimes, not very often now, you'll hear him break into a happy mood, even silly with some laughter, but for the most part it's either him sitting quietly not wanting to do anything or then those more frequent episodes of banging the bed or wall and even screaming out.
Anyone else with info or tips, let us know. On a quest to see my son fully alive again.
My daughter with DS is 13 years old, goes to special school. She is not a very active child, but a couple of months ago it is very difficult to get her to get her ready in the mornings.She just sits on the bed and sings loudly. We are late every day to school. Any ideas how to get her out of bed and started getting ready?
Also it was scary reading Skic's post. My daughter is also losing interest in things although she till  loves going out. She will sit on the bed all day and sing loudly, if left to it. Perhaps the thing is to deal with issues when they are starting before they become too big. Easier said than done. Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you
Seen your post. You may want to talk to the folks that handle the Nutrivene D. If I'd know what I do know, I would have started my son on such things earlier. It's to soon to tell if it's helping him yet and I'm sure after so much time it will be a bit slower seeing result (due to much healing that will need to occur), But talking to that fellow at that place, he was supremely informed and has a downs syndrome child himself. He told me things in our conversation as a whole I got in bits and pieces from Doctors. After looking into this further, it became very apparent to me that the Doctors are misinformed about Downs or they're just not enough profit in them to make the effort. Not to mention thjings I know as fact now, no doctor has even gotten right or even had a clue. I even had my son at a Down's symdrome clinic in our nearby city and they didnt have a clue on how to pursue this matter. One things for sure, going the nutrition and supplement route is not going to hurt anything. I will update as a little more time goes by. I do wished now though, that I had pursued this even more agressively at an earlier stage. But I was really fooled into thinking (from several unreliable sources, re; Drs, teachers, etc) that it was a rebellion thing, stubborness. But it is obvious to anyone now, that what I'm dealing with is not the same person my son was. And it's grown into a very horrifying monster. I am seeking earnestly for the answer and pray for my son to be back soon.
God willing amd with your efforts, he will be back, Skic.
You know what happened yesterday, I sang to my daugheter while she was waking up and kept singing to her (taking a cue from Sandi) until she got up out of bed and went to the bathroom. I was with her all the time, normally I tell her to go th the bathroom and then go about my work. It was so nice, no shouting, no losing temper she got ready so nicely and went to school. I felt so good, even though she was late because she woke up late. Today my husband woke her up really early, and she went to school on time!! Wow After so many weeks!! Hope it keeps up.
i have a 13 yo son with down syndrome.   he is a great kid; however he is quite stubborn. he is not getting any smaller so physically moving 90 pounds of dead weight can be a challenge. one of his tactics is to throws himself on the floor and just lay down there.  if you try to make sense with him, he ignores me and rarely, very rarely changes his mind.  this bevavior usually shows up when he is asked to do something he does not want to. lately it has gotten worse, he is also refusing to communicate much and would assume to just watch movies and read books. last thing he has going on is that he is having pain in his hands, thumb area. doctors can not find anything objective via xrays wrong, but he complaints something is going on. somtiimes his hands feel cold and darker than the rest of his body. i'm afraid we might be missing something.  Anybody has any comments/ideas on this? i need help with his behavior and checking to see if he might have anything wrong in his hands...help!
Not sure about the hand problem. One things for sure, you have to stay on Drs. to get them to really check anything. Wonder if there's something going on with circulation in that area?
Updating, my son has shown some improvement using the Nutrivene D. Not dramatic, but somewhat noticeable. In second month, so gonna stay with it and see if more improvements come. Maybe this would be something to look into as I've seen others ion this site suggest and use this. Specifically design for Down's.
Will update in another month or there about. Hoping to report more progress, but long way to go. Certainly pray is always in order.
Blessings
Skic
My heart goes out to you all, but this is all so strange to me, my young brother has down syndrome "NOTE" I said "has" and NOT my down syndrome brother, think about it what if you have a family member with cancer or whatever, do say my cancer brother ??

And to hear people call down syndrome "a disease" this is really awful, they don't have a disease, it is not contagious, you can't catch it, people need to STOP saying this also.

My brother lives with me, he is 46 now yes when he was young and out with my mother and he saw the shop that he liked he would pulled away from her and run across the street, but there's many children out there that don't have D/S and they do it among other things, I think it's also a good thing to fine out what their mental age is, my brother has two ages, 4 and 9, 4 when it comes to the three Rs otherwise he's 9 years old, a lot has got to do with their up bringing, get to know their likes and dislikes, treat them as you would any child but with more understanding, if you say no to one child don't say yes to the child with D/S and explain that you said no to the other child and why, let them help with things and praise them for it always, if they do wrong tell them it's wrong and why, but don't leave that as the last word because they will be feeling very hurt, like maybe ask them to promise not to do it again as it's not nice, when they do give them a hug saying good boy/girl then go on to do something else with them, teach them to share and praise them for that too, another thing is with most of them if not all, everything's a routine if they set things out on their dresser or whatever, it upsets them if someone comes along and moves them, some may just put them back the way they had it, some may not but still get upset, worse if they can't tell you why so they might kick off ?? , if your child is upset  ask is it this or that, or hold your hand out and ask them to show you, and don't spoil them just as you shouldn't with any child, and if the child is ill, yes love and care for them but don't be all over them saying poor ?? or let anyone else say it to them it doesn't help matters, you need to get to know them better then you know yourself, when their sick and when not, their just looking for affection who doesn't ? just don't smother them, there are many other things, oh but never slap them this is wrong that's my opinion anyway, and they do get depressed just like other people, and they will copy what they see others do but so do other children and some people think it's ok to let them drink, this is so wrong my brother may be 46 but to me he's 9yeas old, it would only confuse them more, so called normal people can't handle it.

I wouldn't change my brother for the whole world, I've loved him from the min he was born, I was 10 years old then and I didn't even get to see him at that point as he wasn't kept in the ward with my mother but I knew he was special and always tell him so, now I say what are you ?? he replies "special". I would just like to add as well as down syndrome he has epilepsy/ underactive thyroid/ and now Dystonia and it's the last that I find a real problem with only beacuse I can't bare to see him suffer, their are doctors who don't even know what Dystonia is and no one knows of anyone who has D/S and Dystonia, but I did come across someone on here but can't get any reply back, and their are many types Dystonia, My brother having D/S I don't find a problem he's just my lovely wee brother.

(The Creed of Babies with Down Syndrome)

My face might be different
But my feelings the same
I laugh and I cry
And I take pride in my gains
I was sent here among you
To teach you to love
As god in the heavens
Looks down from above
To him I'm no different
His love knows no bounds
It's those here among you
In cities and towns
That judge me by standards
That man has imparted
But this family I've chosen
Will help me get started
For I'm one of the children
So special and few
That came here to learn
The same lessons as you
That love is acceptance
It must come from the heart
We all have the same purpose
Though not the same start
The Lord gave me life
To live and embrace
And I'll do as you do
But at my own pace.

www.downs-syndrome.org
P.S. Forgot to say my brother has never been on any meds ever, only now for those other problems he has.
Do you have any more info on the problem your son is having with his hand ??
If People with Down Syndrome Ruled the World.

http://www.nads.org/pages_new/news/ruletheworld.html
im a proud nana of a WOUNDERFULL little 6yr old boy with DS.he is havin behaviour problems at the moment,he has lived with me for 2n half yrs,now a couple of mths ago he has been butting the floor and punching himself in the head,i have noticed ,that it has been happening since he has ben sleeping at his mums more and now he has gone bk its getting worse,he has started hitting me and his mum,and he wont go bed or stay in bed if he gets out,i didnt have this problem with,i try to help n giv his mum advice n told her too stick too his routine,he hates change,he is a lovin and beautiful boy,and very bright,do we ignore this behaviour or seek more advice,and yes please who ever said DS is a disease,go do ur research,he is no leper and its a syndrome,my grandson is gifted and hes my gift and hes very precious to me,MY ALFIE,XXXX
I was seeeing a women that had a son that suffered from cerebral palsy/muscular dys. Several months into the relationship she placed her son into a facility because she felt she could no longer give him the adequate care he deserved. Well a few months later I found out she was pregnant and she alledged I was the childs father(by this time we had quit talking). initially she asked that I give her money to abort the child and I did, nevertheless she made the decision to keep the child after having told me she would have an abortion. well months go along and I find out that she gave birth to the little girl and I tried making contact with her to see how she was doing and also because I had heard from a mutual friend that the child had DS. well after she gave birth to the child, I apporached her about the condition of the child she told me that there was nothing wrong with the child and that the child was fine with NO mental or health issue. Well a year has gone by and I recently saw the child for my first time because she kept the child from me(but now she pursuing support for the child) and I found out that she has been lying the entire time about the little girls condition. IN FACT, she does have DS. when I asked her why did she lie she couldn't say anything she just dropped her head in shame because she KNEW she had lied to me!!! even though I know its not this childs fault, I cant pull myself together enough to want to be a father to a child that( never was suppose to be here,because she was the one that suggested the abortion) and two I cant get beyond the fact that the entire time since she led me to believe this child was normal. ( I simply wasn't mentally prepared, once the truth had come out).& In my honest opinion I believe that the only reason she's keeping this child even after birth is because she simply wants to have her as an attachment to me(her giving birth wasn't a genuine birth).I dont believe that its fair that 3 people now must suffer, because what Ive come to realize from these post is that having a strong support system can make or break the tolerance levels or ones ability to withstand parenting a child with such needs.I dont believe that she able to give this child the special attention that she needs. And why is that peoeple look down upon parents that make the decision to place the child in a facility where the child can recieve the proper care that the child deserves? That doesn't mean that the parent doesnt love the child it only suggest that instead of not giving the child the adequate care and attention that he/she deserves that its best for the child to be in an environment where he/she can recieve the proper care(not love) because parents still love there chilren. but if your not mentally albe to care for a child with a disability what good are you to the child, you yourself suffer from depression, anxiety?
I am so happy that I joined this community. I have a nine year old with ds, with extreme behaviors. He is in a md class with an aide and a teacher. He has melt downs at least 3 times a week. He drops to the loor, spits and kicks. Help!  
Hello There,
I can share with you prayer changes thing. Just do your part as the other parent the rest will fall in to place. Find support groups and help the child. Children with ds are challenging but they are people to. We all need help with our special angels.
Be Blessed,
SLC
We have a son who has DS and is 10. This summer he started crying loud---LOUD in public and at home. This has been increasing to school and can last up to 2hrs 2-3 times a day. He recently fractured his femur (after the crying started) and has now become non-verbal. He refuses to speak , and has reverted back to signing. He lost interested in his videos and music and had a decrease in appetite. I have heard him talk to himself just once in the last 8 weeks .  Has anyone else experienced this we are trying to maintain routine and give consequences for negative behavior and have met with teachers. But miss the little guy we knew.
I have a 23 year old down syndrome sister and she is non verbal, uses diapers and we have to feed her.  For the past 8-9 years she has been extreamly temperamental, she screams her lungs out for no apparent reason, the doctor has diagnosed behavioral problems because we have done all tests possible to locate pain or problems.  The doctor has prescribed so many different medications to give her to control her and within days her body becomes immune to them. She doesnt walk much but she can, she is just extreamly temperamental she does not like to be around anyone and only screams in anger all the time.  

When we are feeding her she spits the food out and screams in anger, when we change her diaper she crosses her legs and pushes us (3) of us my mom, my self and my other sister.  Cannot stand no one touching her.  The doctors now dont even get near her when examining her.  She does not bite or scratch but she only screams sooooooooo loud that you can hear her almost half a mile away.  He screams are similar to that of someone being strangulated.  Due to that police have been called to my house by neighboors to see whats going on.  

It is very difficult because i love my sister and we want to help her but we are at the point we dont know what to do anymore.   We are giving her
Risperidal, Seratine, Nexium (for her gastritis), calcium, vitamin D, miralax (for her cronic constipation)

Is there any other medications at this point that you can recommend to help her relax and maybe even make her feel happy.  

Thanks so much

please email me to

***@**** if you can

thanks

Victoria,
Palm Springs, CA
i think you wrong  mate jumping at this lady like this ds kids can be real violent and hobble and some are lovely and real good it,s teaching of the parent.s who like to turn a blind eye to there behaver////    ds  is  diffident with all kids i have a step daughter and because her mum never set any boundaries for her she spit,s, pushed, pull,s hair, ,bite,s, scratchers, kick.s   and can be a real naughty child, your sister is only 3 and getting all the one to one with you but when she,s go.s to school that when her behaver will change.. because she,ll not be getting the one to one with you,,,,, now this lady maybe right the mother of the child do.snt care what her daughter do,s because she see the ds not the child. just like my step daughter.s  mother,,,   all the best with your baby sister mate, all the best, for you and your family ,
i think your right mate my new man has a ds daughter she can be a trying little girl and know,s she,s doing it because when she do.s she look,s at me and smiles and poke,s out her tong,,  i agree on the spanking he has started to do that very thing and put her on the naughty steep she,s real starting to come around to it,,,  and hope the bulling of my 8year old and 8week old baby will stop,,,,, happy day,sssssssss
I came to this site looking for information about medicating my 20 year old son who has Down Syndrome.  He stopped attending his school about a year ago.  He says that he 'graduated', which is not true.  He stays up until 4 or 5 a.m. every night.  He has pulled about 3 all-nighters in the last 1 1/2 years, usually, when he is over-excited about something.  He has invisible friends, and has carried a spoon and a pen around for about 15 years.  He is usually good-natured, but very, very stubborn.  He does not like to leave the house for much of anything.  He doesn't want to go bowling, swimming, to the movies, stores, or even to visit relatives.
  We stopped the dairy completely (along with all animal products) about 3 1/2 years ago, and he has not been sick with a sinus infection in all that time.  They were a chronic problem before that, and he was on antibiotics most of the time.  I recommend avoiding all dairy for any child that suffers from chronic sinus, ear problems and/or excema.  We saw so many different doctors through his life, and not even one of them suggested cutting out the dairy.  I just stumbled onto it on my own.  My son is very resistant to eating healthy foods, and has a very limited diet.  I give him a daily vitamin, but he is a healthy guy in every way.  He has gained about 20 pounds in the last year, since quitting school.  He was always a skinny little guy, and I don't know what to do to get him to be more active.  He does a little bit of dancing, but mostly enjoys watching his (same) movies over and over, and spending time on his computer looking at his millions of photographs of pretty much, the SAME things (the cat's litter box, the cat, his spoon and pen, the floor, etc).  He just got a Wii for Christmas, so maybe that will help some.  I took him to a doctor a few months ago, and he was given a low dose of Prozac for depression and anxiety.  I don't see those problems in him. (The doctor also wanted to medicate me!)  The next month they added Depakote, which is for mood disorders, and sleeping pills, which did not work AT ALL.  I do not want him to be a guinea pig, and turned into a zombie.  I weaned him off of all medications slowly, and do not wish to go that route ever again.  I am very troubled by all of the comments that I get from friends and relatives in regards to my son's behaviors.  So many people tell me that I should just 'make him' go to school, or get a job, or go to bed earlier.  I have really struggled with this issue, but after reading all of the comments on here, I think that we don't really have it so bad.  My son does a lot (really, really a lot) of talking.  Car trips are very difficult, and when company is over, it is very hard to have a conversation.  I get overwhelmed, and feel somewhat isolated at times. There is never any violent behavior.  He does have a callous on his fingers, where he rocks his spoon back and forth.  It's nice to be able to sound off here.  I haven't found a doctor yet, that knew very much about people with Down Syndrome!  

I have a 7 year old ds boy.and I have discovered how to make him mind,pottie trained in 1 month and his attitude at school has changed 99% I stopped the treatment and he went back to his disruptive behavior so if anybody out there is on the verge of throwing in the towel I would gladly offer my recommendations and a step by step guide that's available for purchase and believe me results are noticeable within the first week I'm not a writer but I have managed to find methods that work ! My name is Bradley and if anybody is interested shoot me an email at ***@**** thanks
Try a gluten free diet, my cousin with twins with downs were found that that helps.
I wonder the same thing about my son.  He will be 3 in June and has Down's as well.  He is also extremely hyper active and very impulsive.  His tantrums are out of control.  I even have a behavioral therapist coming every week to help us get a handle on his "issues".  Obviously he is too young for medication but I don't know what to do.  It's put a huge strain on my marriage as well.  We are both so tense when we go out in public.  Don't get me wrong, I love my son very much, but am concerned about what else is going on.  He isn't talking yet but trying to.  Maybe his frustration comes from lack of communication?  I don't know.  Need advice.  Anyone else dealing w/ this or something similiar?

Also, we were told by our genetic's counselor that if he had ADHD (bc that too runs in our family) it would probably be masked by the Down's however his behavioral therapist definitely said he appears to have it.    
Bradley, it doesn't show the email.  I'd love to hear your suggestions.  I have a little boy with DS that will be 3 in June.  Very hyper and aggressive at times as well as impulsive.  Wanting to start potty training asap and be able to go out in public w/out a melt down!  
I have 5 sons, the four of them potty trained before they were 3years old. My son with ds learned to potty train when he was 6 1/2 years old. It was very hard, but it did finally happen. Just try to be very patient with him. Reward him when he does go, and when he doesn't try to be positive.  Keep a schedule of the times he does go, so you can bring him to the bathroom at those times. I used to bring him about 15 min. after he eats every meal, and before leaving the house, and before entering a store or doc appointment etc. Whatever you do, do not use diapers or pullups, they just delay the potty training longer. My son did not like to feel wet or dirty.  As soon as I switched to underwear, a  week later he was trained. I did have to throw out a few.  Hope this helps! You are blessed!!!=)  
My daughter is 6 yrs and has been doing the same thing.  Our behavior specialist at the therapy school got one of the blue squishy toys from Dollar Tree to redirect her from 'self-exploration' to dangling or throwing this toy.  It has worked wonders!  It has little plastic nubby strings on it that she likes to dangle it from.  Yes, this is considered 'stemming' and usually not an encouraged behavior most of the time, but it draws the attention of the child to something else besides what's under their britches. It also helps with her aggressive behavior since I give her a 'target' to throw it at.  She has such a good throwing arm that I make sure it's a pretty good distance away from any breakables, but it makes her focus, which helps with her coordination and motor skills.  Hope this helps. :)
Wow Robby he might just be right because the child I do work with can get very violent to his mother and has been to me also. We need to take something away from him and he really got very hurtful with everyone in the room I mean he is very strong and takes fits of rage out on others. Yes every case can be different,this child cannot be redirected when he excels,he will go after you and hurt you, other then that he is a beautiful child of 11 and we all love him he can be and is very pleasant most of the time but the temper is dangerous as he is extremely strong it took two of us to get him to let go of us.
I have been reading all the posts on this sight and I am glad to hear my family is not alone with the behavioral problems regarding Down Syndrome children. I have a 5 year old grandson with Downs. The love of my life. Mostly for me he behaves pretty good. However, his behavior for his mother, my daughter, is some times overwhelming. He does the throwing himself on the floor when he doesn't want to go some where. He has thrown toys just to throw something, not out of anger. He is still not potty trainined. Don't get me wrong, he can be the most adorable and good little boy, but some days he is like a totally different child. My daughter is 8 months pregnant with her second child and is besides her self most days.
leaha how old are you ?? i think you should get you self a dictionary and look up the word disease you wont find downs under that catagory i have 4 kids my son has downs he,s the most funniest little man he takes a little more time to learn things but when he gets the hang of stuff im the proudest mother ever i also couldnt keep count on how many times a day he hugs and kisses me and says he loves me he adores his 3 sisters and yes some times they argue and he hits out but so does his sisters and cousins i use time out for all my kids and he,s no differernt so id just like to say to you leaha  i would hate to have a friend like you asking a question like that on this forum seems to me that your just mad some one hit your chid sure that can happen anytime in life regardless of down sydrome or not !!!!!!
Mother of a 14 year old son with Downs. His first 4 years we lived in NJ, he went to public school but was in a self contained class with about 4 kids and 2 teachers. While in school he was friendly, was learning and succeeding in all aspects. Things between my ex and I weren't working out so we seperated and I relocated to Georgia. Now in Georgia he is having a lot of behaviorial problems and though I am seeing some of it at home, the majority of it is going on in school.....or so the teachers say. He's had tube put in his ears 3 times so far so he does not speak too well and his vocabulary is very limited so it's frustrating to me as a parent because he can't explain to me what's wrong and I know it's frustrating to him as well because no one understands him. My problem now is that his teacher is suggesting meds for him because she thinks he has ADHD. I took him to the Dr. and she said she doesn't see him as being that hyperactive child in any of his visits and I told her at home he is just a child (he has his good days and he has his bad) but it's not to the extent as they are making it seem in school. To me, I feel like the school is just trying to make their job easier because since being here he fell behind as far as education but they don't have the programs and stuff like they did back home in NJ because they say the town is "poor" I do all I can for my son....I work with him everyday because I know he has the potential and I know he can do the work, but I am also a single mother that works and he needs to be in school. So am I wrong for not wanting to medicate my child because they think he has ADHD? Also he really doesn't have a defined and consistent schedule in school like he does at home, and I know for a fact that is an important thing when it comes to children with Downs......consistency
My DS brother is the best brother I've ever had.  He has gone through stages but now we are experiencing one of his worst stages.  My brother is 27 and two years ago his moods started to change to the extreme.  He became withdrawn and wasn't communicating with family as much as he used it.  He was over weight and stopped eating and lost over a hundred pounds and then he started having seizures.  These past 2- years have been tough on my mom who is his primary caregiver.  He has begun eating again and is starting to put back on some weight and is beginning to interact again... But now he has started to have, unprovoked, violent attacks towards my mom.  He will slap her, hit her, and throw things at her.  This past week his violent attacks have been daily.  Today, they went for a walk.  My mom was in front of him and they were just laughing and enjoying the day, suddenly he attacked my mom from behind and he had her in a choke hold, lifted her up, and threw her onto the the pavement.  10-seconds later he stood there saying nothing.  My dad walked them home (just a few houses away) and my mom cried and doesn't understand the attacks.  I'm scared of my brother now, who normally is so loving and fun to be around with but know I don't trust him with mom who is an active 65 years old.  The doctors keep changing his medications, for moods, etc. but his seizure medications are constant.  We have put away all knives, glass, or heavy objects he can get a hold of to throw at my mom.  He can now only use plastic cups and spoons and he can't be alone w/ my mom anymore and I'd adviced to my parents to lock their door at night since my dad was awakened early in the morning last week to my brother hitting him with a clothes hanger.  Surprisingly! My brother is very lovable and kind and has touched all our lives... But now I can't trust him and I'm scared for my moms safety.  I don't want to think about putting my brother in a "special home" and quite frankly, my mom would not allow it.  But I don't know what to do, I don't know who to turn to and the doctors don't either.  I found this site as I was Googling "D/S violent attacks" hoping to find some sort of answer.  Any advice, suggestions, or referrals is desperately needed.   Thank you for giving me this opportunity to talk to a community of families who have a loved one w D/S.  At the very least, now I know we're not alone.
Unfortunately, in my experience, the Drs have NO answers. And to be honest with you I have doubts as to whether they really want to put the time into. Down's people, like others with disabilities are not high profit. But also it seems even those who are "more profitable", their only answer to anything these days is to drug you. What gets me is they do this with no scientific evidence that these drugs will work and not to mention the long list of health dangers involved. I have experienced a similar situation with my son, although not as bad as yours and no seizures, thank the Lord. I would suggest dietary measures, such as eliminating GMO's, BPA, any of those frutroses (RE: high frutrose corn syrup), major reduction in sugar, less meat and more vegetables, fruits. And in Vegetables, fruit, more raw than cooked. Maybe look into a high quality colon cleanse.There is also other detox's that can be helpful such as a heavy metal cleanse using a good grade Chlorella. I suggest Dr. Mercola's sight and he has good quality for fair pricing. You'd be amazed at what this may accomplish. BUT if anything try these 2 things. 1) Coconut Oil- a teaspoon 3 or 4 times a day. Has been found to reverse alzheimers symptoms. Not saying it has anything to do with that, but point is, it aids brain function. I have found it to be helpful with my son, and it has many other health benefits also. 2) Get an herb (and suggest Dr. Mercola) called Ashwangandha. Also found to be very effective for brain function and I have also seen improvement with my son.
But if he is on meds, check about any side effects of any of this with the drugs he may be on. My hope is he'd be able to come off any meds. You and he will be better off. But if he does he'll most likely have to be weaned off.
You'd be surprised at how these things may make a difference. And it's all safe and what the heck, you have nothing to lose to try. Have lot of other thoughts. Let me know if I can share anything else with you. Not an expert, but my trial started about 5 years ago and I have exhausted the medical community and only results I have gotten have been in this area. At the very least, he will be a healthy man.
Reading your post made me think of my situation. My daughter just turned 15 and she is having behavioural problems especially after she started a new class in school. I think any kind of change makes them act out, more so because they are not able to express it verbally. She has hearing aids in both ears and wax builds up quickly so most of the time she's not hearing well. You are right, they need consistency and more care. I don't think its a good idea to give medication unless you are sure about the ADHD. Why don't you try other schools? Or consult a behaviour therapist?
We are looking for a psychologist, but they are so expensive....
I am actually replying to myself. I have just found information that could prove valuable to anyone here that has been dealing with extreme behavioral issues. The use of Polyethylene Glycol (under a poplar brand name which I will not mention but sure all what it is) has been known to cause major issues with many. The regular use of it and/or over dosing of it can and has caused many to become toxic from it. Eventually causing major health issues and even death. One of the many side affects including destroying the kidneys is "neuropsychiatric events" which include  autism, dementia, depression, schizophrenia, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, and similar others. Also the danger of the following.  (let me some this up, most if not all behavioral issues I and many have asked about are among those "events that can occur)
"● Nephrotoxicity: PEG has been connected to nephrotoxicity, a euphemism for kidney damage and it is counter-indicated for patients with kidney disease. This particular “side effect” is most likely related to the hydrolyzed (separated in water solution) molecules of ethylene glycol.

● Urticaria: PEG may  cause allergy-related hives (urticaria) — raised red welts on the surface of the skin. Children are particularly susceptible to hives, and face a grave risk of anaphylaxis — a life-threatening allergic reaction that may develop within minutes or even seconds after ingesting a PEG-containing laxative. Links between PEG and urticaria have been documented as far back as 1991.

● Esophageal perforations: Also known as Mallory-Weiss tear, esophageal perforations associated with polyethylene glycol electrolyte lavage solution have been reported as far back as 1991. These tears and related bleedings may occur in the mucus membrane of the lower part of the esophagus, or upper part of the stomach . "
Research has also shown the FDA is aware of this BUT has decided not to address it at this time. Do you're own research and form your own opinion, but as for me, my son is done with this stuff.
I post this because I have been through a literal hell with my son sliding further away into bad behavioral issues which has imprisoned him and me now for a 5 years (Now 23) with NO answers from Doctors. except to dope him up.
This with a boy, now 23 who was previously the light of any room he entered.
I post this because I want others to know what I have found and if you have these problems and your child uses this poison (which is a form of ethylene glycol, which is anti-freeze) then you may want to look into this and discontinue and found something safe and natural. I trusted Drs that this was safe, but should have known better.
I also post this because I know that constipation is a regular issue with many down's children (especially considering many having dealt with Hirschprungs disease) and this is the drug of choice to deal with it.
So maybe this will be a help to someone.
did the nutrivene work for your son? Is he still taking it, can anyone shed a light on this high dose vitamin?
I do not use the nutrivene any longer. Mostly due to finances. I have several other things that I use that are seemingly or more benefit to him. I like the Nurtivene and would continue to use it, but with it's cost (which is not unreasonable) coupled with cost of everything else and tough economic times it's hard to pay for so many thing. I would push throught the expense though if I had seen any difference from it's use. Used it for several months with no visable results. The company is very reputable and the main fella will talk to you and has good info on down's kids. Has one himself if I remember correctly. I'm sure from a nutrional point it is a great product because it is packed with good stuff and safe. Just had to choose and went with the things that seemed to have at least some affect. For me it is dietary, lots of water, elimnate sugar, use quality products like organice coconut oil 3 tsp 3 X a day, apple cider vinegar tblsp in glass of water. Elimnate toxins much as possible, (safe soap, shampoo, no flouride toothpaste), Vitamin B12 and D spray under tongue twice daily, Ashwagandha ( herb that helps with brain function) and supplement with Spirulina  6 tabs once a day with food and lastly a nutrional product from Halleluah Acres (ONline) which is called "Barleymax". It is a green superfood product you put tsp in water. Has great healing properties.
. This combination with diet, no junk food or drinks has given me some visable result. Also found on Natural news.com's store and porduct called "Oxy Powder" that takes place of toxic Polyethylene glycol quite well and safely.
Hope this helps.
We have been there as parents of an adult who has Down S.  Do the best you can for the safety of others and your loved one.  No one knows what causes the outbursts.  And if you need help, get it from the community.  It is a long, difficult road.  We placed our son after he was out of school.  He is 44 years old and still has outbursts each year about 4 or 5 times.  Love him but this causes grief as a parent.
I work as a live-in caregiver. My employers are a retired couple; my job is taking care of the husband, who suffers from senile dementia and several other medical conditions; also he has no mobility in his legs. Their 47-year-old D.S. son (Johnny) also lives in the house; he is fairly high functioning and works out of the house at a plastics factory that has special accommodations/coaches for the developmentally disabled.

I function as a member of the family, love them very much, and take part in household decisions. I have been assigned to somewhat of a leadership role with Johnny. My problem is that I find living with him increasingly frustrating. Basically, there is nothing in this house that is off-limits to him. He is given freedom to rearrange closets and cabinets; though he does not cook, the kitchen counter-tops, cabinets and drawers must be arranged according to his (very illogical) dictates, or he has a tantrum and makes life miserable. It is becoming difficult to have guests because Johnny always creates some kind of a scene -because people are in the house rearranging "his" things. He is disrespectful and verbally abusive to his elderly father, which really puts my back up; his mother tells me not to worry about it because the father is senile and does not realize what is happening. I disagree.

Frankly, I think Johnny deserves a firm rebuke in these cases. His mother spends a lot of time "sweet talking" trying to get him to agree to behave better; she seldom requires him to apologize for his rudeness, and she seldom effects a change in his behavior. Basically what I see happening is that Johnny keeps all of us focused on what he wants all of the time; if he does not get it, WE pay. Everything is fine, he is very sweet, until his dictates are not followed -then watch out. He is overweight, and meal times are very unpleasant because he becomes belligerent if he cannot have seconds/thirds/high calorie beverages/dessert. I dread sitting down at the dinner table because I know my leadership will be challenged and his mother will end up giving in to him to avoid his belligerence. Johnny seems to know this, also. Ditto for the daily shower; it is always an argument between him and myself with him appealing to mother until she overrides my decision. He has become quite adept at making me look like the "mean" villain, and often creates situations/stretches the truth, trying to cast me in an unfavorable light, which I find stressful. I am frustrated because I have the leadership role without the authority to back it up. His mother tends to override my decisions because I do not make all my appeals to him in the sweet, fawning way that she feels is best for Down Syndrome. I am frustrated that she lets him speak to me and "dad" in such a rude and disrespectful way, yet shields him from any consequences his "fighting words" would normally carry. It is like he throws a bomb, then goes running back to mama for protection. You may think this seems petty, but when you are a man and have to live with this 24/7 you get quite demoralized by it.

Mother tends to draw Johnny in very close to her and side with Johnny against Dad and myself. Mother and Johnny enjoy discussing and analyzing other's shortcomings. Somehow Johnny's behavior in never Johnny's fault. It is always dad's fault or my fault or a "misunderstanding" on Johnny's part. I can frankly see that some of this misunderstanding and lack-of-hearing is on-purpose.

His mother bristles when I use a firm tone of voice with him, but frankly I think he needs a firmer hand. When his mother is out of the house he becomes VERY respectful. But as soon as she comes home he starts in with the whiny, tattle-taling, mama's-boy routine -until mama's blood pressure has risen to dangerous levels and I am ready to leave. I am at a loss. It is nearing the time that he returns home from work and I am dreading it, as usual.

Down Syndrome people are so annoying and nobody wants to admit it. This is what bugs me about all these stories, that, coped with the fact that parents don't give any discipline or responsibilities to those individuals, who later become a burden (more like nuisances) to their siblings or whoever ends up being the caregiver is just disgusting. I think people who decide to give birth to DS children should be held accountable by the government and healthcare systems to make sure those parents aren't raising little brats that later will become 47 yr old rude, dirty burdens to society. My mother in law should've been jailed by the way she raised my two DS brothers in law. Now they are screaming, self-biting monsters who never clean after themselves, soil themselves, never want to take showers and all they do is sit around all day watching TV. They're my worst nightmare and I already told my husband I want nothing to do with them after his mother died. Therefore, his only option is to put them in  
In a home or make them live somewhere else. Not with me though.

My brother is 15 years old who was diagnosed with prader willi down syndrome and scoliosis. It has came to the point where my family is hopeless and has no choice but to send him to a home for treatment and care. I cannot express how much my brother means to me just like any family feels about their loved ones. I do not want him to leave he is too little to be separated from our family and put in a home. we blame our self for the background we come from because we lack education, my parents are too young, and no patience for a child with down syndrome. This might have affected his behavior since we do not know how to care for him properly yet we've done our best. My family follows a strict diet for him and is active yet that doesn't stop him for acting aggressive. My mom had meeting once a week for the past year with a psychologist to teach my mother skills to improve his aggressive behavior but recently he continues to act violent and it scares me, that he won't be able to stay with us much longer. I sometimes think to myself why must god make these children suffer? sure they're special but why should they live their whole lives in medications after medications or surgeries throughout their existence. where can I find answers? why must I feel so helpless? it makes life seem less scary after living your life with a child that shouldn't be born with this syndrome plus scoliosis which deteriorates every bone. Don't misunderstand me, their beautiful children and deserve to live like anyone else and I should focus on the things he can do and keep positive but when that doesn't work and we are forced to leave him at a home what then?
I saw a post you made in 2010.  That was a long time ago.  I have an 11 year old son diagnosed with Down Syndrome and autism.  His ABA therapist wants me to try focalin to help him focus.  He is not hyper but does have a short attention span.  He is starting some behaviors such as dropping to the ground when he doesn't want to do something.  He is not agressive but is strong and can also act silly and kick when he wants to.  I really don't like the thought of medication.  Any thoughts?  I am trying to be open about this but it is hard.  
Kathy Kelly
My sister has a 4 year old downs child who is extremely aggressive. He attacks his younger sister by pulling chunks of her hair out, hitting her with heavy objects and I even caught him approaching her from behind, about to put his hands around her throat. They are no longer left in the same room together but even under supervision, he looks for any opportunity to do her harm. No-one else in the family is at all aggressive so this isn't 'learned' behaviour. We are a very close family and I see them regularly so none of this is assumption based on ignorance. He, of course, can be a lovely little boy but that can change at a moment's notice. Social Care are very unsupportive, believing that he should be treated the same as a non-Down's child which would put him and his siblings in danger. I know that most DS children are very loving but there are a lot whose aggression is the dominant side of their personality. Please don't assume that all DS children are the same, these families need help and support, not chastisement for being 'bad parents'.
Hi I am new to the group,
I have too much going on and I dont know what to do Im trying to stay strong for my son he has DS and has just turned 4yrs, Im a single parent and I have 4 other children ranging from 24 down to 4, my ex husband has narcissism and Its been 4yrs he continues to drag me through the courts, w
he only has one son to me and no other children! this was my second marriage, he first took my son away at 9mths old while i was still breast feeding, I had to take him to court to recover my son! it was a lengthy process and when i thought things would get better he then again had me in court for trying to swap daycare centers, I found myself served with a restraining order!! after that I though it was over but once again he has taken our son and not returned him, he is now accusing me "flogging" and abusing our son, I have only ever smacked my son when he would throw a tantrum and break things which has been increasing of late. My ex hus has lied in affidavits and didn't do him any good before!! like one lie was that he said his bond was stronger with our son and that he would have to come home and change soiled nappies that i was neglecting my son  when asked by the judge how many days he worked my ex said 6 days per week and the judge said there was no way his bond could be stronger!! my son was also born with low muscle tone and was always constipated so the soiled nappies were also a lie.
I also believe my son maybe on autism spectrum but my ex wont admit he has behavioral issues he says to the court he only has tantrums while in her care! I have to rely on professional reports from my sons early intervention and daycare, they have appointed an independent children s lawyer for him, I am now looking for a fulltime job as my son is still in my ex care and I have lost my pension and carers allowance to stay at home to care for my son, I have no income and have to represent myself in court, all I can do is cross my fingers and put my faith in the system.  
Help me, I have a 4 year old, soon to be 5 in September with Ds and recently diagnosed with autism. He loves to bite, intelliquently he understands everything happening around him, he copies off of everyone as well.he used to only bite girls and now he is biting his peers, boys. He would go months without biting and then it comes back full swing. I need help please
My daughter is 33 down syndrome, till the age of 32 we did not had any problem with her she was behaving like a normal child. since last 9 months she has become different when she wants something or does not like somehting she puts her full hand in the month deep inside. now we have to put the mask on her face. she does not talk much and we have to ask each time if she want to go to wash room or eat that also she is very stuburn and does ot listen most of the time due to leazyness she wets on the bed.  need help as it is very difficult for us to manager. we are all the time with her and dont leave her alone still she say she is sad.
Hi - by chance did you get any replies or help with this?  My son is 16 and having a lot of the same issues.
IF THIS IS FOR REAL, I HOPE YOU RESPOND . WE HAVE A 15 YO. DOWN SYNDROME BOY WITH AUTISME TRAITS AND OBSESSIVE TRAAITS. HE IS VERY AGGRESIVE AND IS TAKING THE LIFE FROM HIS MOTHER, IF YOU HAVE ANY INSIGHT PLEASE HELP.  JEFF
i feel your pain, my son who also has ds he is 17 in 2 weeks about a year ago he came home from school and started beating the crap out of me, my husband and burned my dad with hot water, we had him admitted 3 times this year and no help from any one, he has always been on meds for adhd since he was 10, he was outgoing, went to his prom, did great socially in school. we finally had a dna test done to see what medications will work for him, it is out of pocket 450.00 and we go to a new dr. this monday. he has been out of school for almost a year and now i think he has a learned behavior that if he hits he doesn't have to go to school. i feel your pain and know u are not alone
Put him in a home! It never gets better!