Down Syndrome Community
DS Teen with behavior problems and other "problems"

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

I just found this site and have a ton of questions! I'm trying to learn of what my wife and I can do to BETTER our son's life!? He is 16 and for the past couple years has experienced anger/behavior problems. His vocabulary is VERY limited so it adds to all of our frustrations as we know he WANTS to talk but is unable to "express" himself. He has no interests in anything. We've tried bike riding, hiking, coloring books, games, everything! All he enjoys doing is locking himself in his room where he ALWAYS has the TV, radio and his fan on all at the same time. He grinds his teeth, has sudden outbursts of growls/screams, mumbles to himself, "spins" in circles for hours (we've come to know this as self-soothing)...I can go on and on. He however doesn't have tantrums or such. He will retalliate at you if you attempt to have him do something he doesn't want to do...his hit his mother a couple times and has attempted to blow up on me a couple times which has gotten physical where I have to restrain him to calm him down. He hates his younger brother (7 years old) with a passion but there are the times where he wants to be friends...I'll never forget when the younger was born and we got home and the older with DS said CLEAR AS DAY...take him back, lol!
The wife and I have refused to "medicate" our child but have come to terms that it may help? What is out there that our boy (and us) benifit from??? I'm looking into the Nutrivene-D Daily supplement vitimans and also biphentin but would rather stay "natural" as I refuse to even take asprin myself!
We appreciate all the advice and help and look foward to "lurking" and posting on here in the future...this will be one of my daily forums!
Tags: "behavior problem, teen, help
Hi  I have a daughter with downs also a teenager,
I get my vitamins for her from Canada its called NUTRICHEM PHARMACY
they customize the formula according to the kids needs.  She has been on them since the age of one now 17.
Also they used to have the piracetam also that i was adding to the vitamins they have worked lovely with her.  But they no longer sell the piracetam so i have to get through the US.  There are some places that you can get them online if you do a search on it there are plenty.
Hope that helps
When I stop the vitamins i see a big change to the worse. So these vitamins definitely works but talk with your doctor first and see if it will work for you,
interesting... med choices.... What are the side effects? Did her behaviors get better?