Down Syndrome Community
DS with increasing violence
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

DS with increasing violence

I help with a 33 year old Downs person.  He has always been verbally violent with an invisible friend and he does pretend that he is actually fighting physically with this person.  His parents blame it on TV, he acts out what he sees.  A few months ago he came into the room and shoved me violently from behind, I had not even talked to him at that point.  A few weeks after that, he came up the stairs with an angry look on his face and again violently shoved me this time facing me.  Today, I was sitting and talking with his mother, she was trying to given him his shoes to leave with me,  he had that same angry look on his face when he suddenly without warning smacked me across the face leaving a bruise.  Again, it was blamed on TV but I'm wondering if he sees someone being choked on TV is he capable of choking me and with his strength what are my chances or for that matter will he do this to someone else.  Usually you can talk him out of this make-believe world but I noticed that it is taking longer to do this.   Is this behavior going to continue and/or escalate?
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!

Adults with Down Syndrome can have many psychiatric problems from years of facing everyday problems and from realizing that they are different from others. Hence they can suffer from uncontrolled anger, violence, depression, and mania and even schizophrenia. The person in your care needs a psychological assessment to find the cause of his aggression. Thereafter he may need either counseling or medication or both. Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Down Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...