Down Syndrome Behavior
I have an 11 yr old boy with DS. He has just started the 5th grade and has been sent home for throwing a trantrum in the classroom. He turned chairs and desks over. He had previously been with a different teacher the past 5 yrs and this year it's all new to him. New teacher, new room, new aides..you get the idea. As a parent with DS, we know routine and schedule are very important. I knew this change would be an adjustment but never dreamed of this. This is not like him at all. He has a few days of bad behavior but today was the worst. I mentioned the behavior to the doctor at a check up last week and he prescribed risperal. I am leery on starting it not knowing what will happen, does anyone have any suggestions on this? This behavior is so out of the norm for him and I'm a single mom almost at wits end.
idk, I do know that our kids seem to be more sensative to meds.. my son is 13mo. and he has a temper!
DEAR SHELL. dont give up hope, its just his way off letting you know, that maybe hes not as happy as he was with his old teacher,just like if you didnt like anything you would change it, but your boy is doing that in his own way, by his behaviour as he doesnt know how else to show you, maybe hes not happy with his new routine.
I dont think i would give him any meds though, i would definately pass on that one.
I would try to resolve it without the meds.
13 years is a funny age for anyone let alone when you have a gift and your special.
I do know my brother is 27years old now , and we have been up a lot off roads, some good and some very bad, but he doesnt like change, and he likes routine,and i think he holds a lot in because he doesnt know how to express, and thats when you see maybe some behavioural problems.
Maybe you could go a sit in the class for a while to just see if the changes are what are affecting his behaviour. and then maybe work on that.
But dont give up, my brother is my best friend. and they are the most genuine people on this earth. Hes my life.He will grow out off it, hes a teenager now and all his little hormones will be all over, just like ours were, when we were teenagers.
Hope things get better soon
Nicola.
I agree with thyroidian, DS person doesnt like change ,  he likes routinity.
changing   caused   this bad behaviour.I think you should help him adjusting , find what is bother him so much in  his new class and solve the problem together with him.
Wish you the best

my husband and i are stumped we think that our 7 year old may have DS but we don't know, our dr, is doing a test on his cromosons that will take up to two months to get results back dose anyone know some signs of DS??
     HE has been suspended for throwing a temper tantrum in the class under a table for 1 hr, over a paper that his teacher told him to throw out?  can you give me an idea of what to look for please?