I am 33 years old and this is my 6th pregnancy the first was a miscarriage. I have four healthy happy children born with no complications. My blood work done at 15 weeks came back with a 1 in 130 chance that my baby girl will have down syndrome. Although these odds seem good, at my age I was told that I should be around 1-442. My doc said my results are less that those of a 35yr old. I was wondering if anyone has had this recently happen to them and if I should even take the risk of an amnio, Regardless I will not terminate but it is weighing heavy on me.
those ratios are a pain the butt, they give you chances and odds and get us all worked up. i am 38 and my odds were 1:3 and i do have a dd with down syndrome. however i have seen women on the 35+ forum here with a 1:2 odd and baby didnt have down syndrome.
they can do other tests to see if its possible, i would assume you had your nuchal fold u/s along with the bloodwork? as far as the amnio goes, only you can decide if its right for you. i had it because of my odds i knew i couldnt wait. i knew i would have my baby regardless, but i had to know. good luck i hope you can decide what works. i have to say many women who know they wont terminate go against the amnio.
Your odds are excellent. I would suggest that you have a level 2 ultrasound and a fetal echo or heart test. These can tell you if the baby has any markers of down syndrom and that will help you decide if you want an amnio or not.
I'm 23 years old and I have a 19 month old son with down syndrome. it does not run in my family I was just that lucky 1:1200 or so. I don't know what my adjusted risk was but I do know that my risk from now on is 1:100 with each baby I have.
I had an amnio with my first son to see if he carried a genetic skin condition I can pass on and we didn't expect the positive result for down syndrome. it was a shock but I don't agree with termination and am VERY happy to have my little guy. I also have a son who's almost 4 months old. I had an amnio with him and it came out normal.
The Nucal Translucency test is only accurate when it's performed between 11-13 weeks. if it's performed too early or too late you can have a false positive.
Since a positive amnio wouldn't make you want to terminate I would suggest you NOT go with an amnio. Why risk it when it won't change the outcome?
get the other testing done to see if that changes your odds.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.