Down syndrome, exactly what is it?
I'm 15 and fine. There's a girl with down syndome who's locker is next to mine and she seams pretty nice, and I always smile at her. Thing is I don't exactly know much about it other than the phyical caristics and they got an extra chromosome, other than that I don't know much and I'd like to be able to understand it. No ones really told me cuz they're ussaly scarf it'd offend someone. Exactly what is it? What it's like being a parent/brother/sister/family member/knowing someone who has down syndrome? And (if possible) I'd mostly like to know what it's like for someone who HAD down syndrome.

~libby
Hello!
Down’s syndrome is a chromosomal disorder seen in approximately 1 in 800 live births. Children with Down’s syndrome have mild to moderate learning diabilities, developmental delays, characteristic facial features; low muscle tone etc.There may be associated gastrointestinal problems and heart defects. The spectrum of Down’s syndrome can range from mild to severe. It is caused by the inheritance of three chromosomes 21 so also called trisomy 21. High maternal age is a risk factor for having a child with Down’s syndrome. Such children need special education programs, early intervention, physical therapy, occupational therapy and screening for other associated disorders etc.  Most adults with Down’s syndrome live independent lifes.They are successful in relations and work. Do write to us again with more queries. Hope you find this information useful.
Best luck!